Unable to use UNRAID SMARTCTL with 3ware 9650SE drives

Hello

Long time novice user of unraid.

system has been running without any issues for better part of the last 10-15 yrs.

Looking for some help from the experts on the Unraid forum. Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Have two(2) 3ware 9650-12 M cards connected to most of my drives

Cannot run SMARTCTL on any of my drives  off the 3ware 9650 either from the command line or the the unraid Gui. ( works fine on the drives directly connected to MB)

Had HD problems – one of my drives went bad, I replaced it;  rebuilt it successfully from my parity drives. All good.

Then  one of my scsi backplanes went bad on my Norco box , have had to rejig the drives, and move some of them to internal SATA ports, and have had nothing but trouble since. 

Needed to rebuild my parity drives (long story) ; but now keep running into HD related issue –  maybe its the SCSI card ; or some configuration on the SCSI card, or some incorrect configuration on my unraid.

Wanting to check the status of the remaining drives , and found out that I cannot run smartctl  and cannot run them.

Help?????????????????????

I also get teh following errors

May 4 15:35:01 Tower kernersl: program smartctl is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO            
             May 4 15:35:01 Tower kernel: 3w-9xxx: scsi20: ERROR: (0x03:0x0101): Invalid command opcode:opcode=0x80.

I have attached the output from

ls -l /dev/disk/by-id

/root/mdcmd status

And the smartctl commands that I have tried to run

smartctl -d 3ware,1 -a /dev/sdu

smartctl -d 3ware,1 -a -s on -T verypermissive /dev/sdu

and the diagnostics logs

Drive /sdu is my disk1

All the other drives off the 3650  show exactly teh same.

Unraid-drives.png

lsbyid.txt mdcmd-status-output.txt smartctl-1.log smartctl-2.log tower-diagnostics-20200504-1550.zip

Edited by Al Asghar
fixing the title of issue

If I had to hazard a guess it's because you're using RAID controllers rather than HBA's. I'm guessing each drive is an individual RAID 0 array which means the physical drive is not exposed to Unraid.

While this works it is not at all the recommended way to run Unraid. the LSI SAS cards with IT firmware work great with Unraid.

Edited by Taddeusz
1 hour ago, Taddeusz said:

If I had to hazard a guess it's because you're using RAID controllers rather than HBA's. I'm guessing each drive is an individual RAID 0 array which means the physical drive is not exposed to Unraid.

While this works it is not at all the recommended way to run Unraid. the LSI SAS cards with IT firmware work great with Unraid.

I think you might be right - I thought it might be something with the raid card configuration - if I go to card setup (alt-3 during boot up) some drives show as "JBOD" , others show as "Single".

Could not find a way to reconfigure them all as JBOD, if anyone knows, feel free to chime in.