Disk temperature vs time without failure - experience share.

Kacper

Hi,

I have 2 drives inside Lenovo W530 and 2 drives 2,5'' connected via usb 3.0.  During parity calculation temperature is: 42, 50 deg. Celcius for internal drives and 42, 46 degree for external USB drives. When idle drives are at 30 degree temperature. Parity build takes around 6 hours for 2TB parity disk. Is it ok if my drives will be hot like that every 2 months for parity check?

What is Your temperature experience for 2,5'' drives - what temperature and how long without drive failure? Please share your experience.

I have installed two fans and some wents and now I don't know if i schould leave it like that? I will be doing parity check once in 2 months, under regular usage drives will be cool as I am not using them in very instensive way. It is a home server.

Regrads,

KN

Right off the bat, you shouldn't be using USB drives in the array. USB is very unreliable and parity check puts a lot of stress on the connection so issues are even more likely to happen.

HDD temp, regardless of form factor, does affect longevity but it's more related to continuous exposure and the speed and degree of fluctuation.

So if your drives run at 50 deg 24/7 then they won't last as long. If it keeps on going to 50 then down to 30 then up to 50 over very short time then thermal fatigue will reduce its lifespan too.

From my personal anecdotal experience though, occasionally reaching 50-degree is fine. I used to do monthly parity check and my parity reached 50 at some points during the parity check. It's still working now (IronWolf 10TB).