UnRAID 6.8.3 - Fresh Install

CPU - Ryzen 2200G
Mobo - Gigabyte DS3H-CF

16 GB RAM

14x 3TB HDD
1x 12 TB HDD (Parity)
1x 250 GB NVMe (Cache)

1x Onboard Gb NIC (Realtek) - Using for main access

1x Dual Port 10Gb NIC HP NC523SFP (QLogic 3242) - Want to use for replication from Old NAS and direct connect a workstation

New install of UnRAID. Looking to replace my FreeNAS system with UnRAID so am trying it out. Everything is looking good except for the 10Gb NICs. Both show a status of "Shutdown (Inactive)", and I can't seem to get them up and running. They are not plugged into a switch, but are direct connects to other boxes via TwinAx cables. I used this setup on my FreeNAS box and it worked well, and looking through the forums it seems others have done this with no issues.

I have done a ton of searching and the only thing I can find close to what I am experiencing is this:

None of that seemed to apply, but I did try some stuff in it. Mostly the the remove the bond and bridge stuff. I also turned off Docker and VMs to allow configuration changes.

When I click on Port Up, I get this in the logs:

May 30 23:36:41 UNRAID kernel: qlcnic 0000:06:00.0 eth1: Failed to Add interrupts 17
May 30 23:36:41 UNRAID kernel: qlcnic 0000:06:00.0: Failed to configure Interrupt for 8 vector

I have tried:

Swapping to a single port Mellanox card - This does work and I can access things from the card.

Booting up in FreeNAS/FreeBSD - This does work with the QLogic card

Booting up in Windows - Again, does work with the QLogic card

Put the card in another machine - Works (Windows again)

I do not have a Linux distro downloaded to try out to see if it is just Linux or not. I will start downloading one and try again tomorrow. Will update with what I find.

Just curious though if someone else ran into something like this. When googling the above error messages, they unfortunately do not return many relevant results either.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

After playing around with this, I do not think this is an UnRAID issue necessarily.

I ended up booting off a live distro (Ubuntu) and found that it was having the same issue. I removed my SAS card from the x16 (wired for x16) slot and put the NIC in that slot, and it worked both in the live distro and in UnRAID. Putting the NIC back into the other x16 slot (which on the B450 chipset is actually an x4 slot) and it would not work. According to the cards documentation, it is supposed to work on an x4 slot, just reduced functionality (from what I read, basically you only get half the bandwidth. So if you are only using one port, you will get full 10Gb, but if you use both, it caps at 5Gbs. For my purposes, this would have been fine) but when I run it on Linux, it will not work at all in that slot.

If I booted into Windows, it would work.

So, I think this is an issue with the drivers on Linux and the fact this is an x4 slot I am running it in. I have found some people saying that the card does work in an x4 slot on Linux, so it may further more be that it is the combination of the card, the board, and the drivers.

I have swapped back to the single port Mellanox card and everything is working just fine. Having the two 10Gb was more a convenience thing while I was transferring the files from the FreeNAS box so that I could still have 10Gb to my workstation as well, but that was a nice to have, not a necessity.

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1