Securely auto-start 6.8+ Encrypted array using SFTP from your phone OR quick and dirty auto-start

• 11 months later...

couple of questions on the steps

• why would you not use a password in the primitive ftpd settings? wouldn't this be more secure?
    • tbh i am not sure what the public key authentication option does, are we using the same keyfile from unraid as a file for authentication elsewhere? i thought we were literally putting the file in the phone and using SFTP to sync it each time
  • are the below steps still necessary if also doing the additional optional steps with p7zip?

Quick and dirty Side note, if you just want to build your array with encryption now since it is a royal pain to change later, you can simply add the below command directly to the go file. It is not secure but will get you going and you can get more advanced later. It is still better then nothing, simply yank the unraid USB and power cord from the computer and everything is secure.

Personally I would recommend using an encrypted array if you think there is any chance you might wish you had it in the future, much much better to do it when first setting up unraid then trying to swap over later.

echo -n 'password_here' > keyfile

You will most likely need to change permissions to be able to copy it to your phone:

chmod ugo+rwx keyfile

Edit: This is technically an optional step but I would highly recommend it as it is far more secure and does not expose your actual array password in plain text.

Edited by john_smith
added detail/question