plex kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Directory bread(block 32768) failed

Starting a new thread so I can hopefully get some answers. I have a new unraid build that is only a couple of days old. The server equipment itself is older equipment but was previously used as an unraid server.See specs below.

M/B: BIOSTAR Group A880GZ Version - s/n: None
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version 4.6.4. Dated: 03/01/2013
CPU: AMD FX™-8320 Eight-Core @ 3500 MHzHVM: Enabled
IOMMU: DisabledCache: 384 KiB, 8192 KiB, 8192 KiB
Memory: 8 GiB DDR3 (max. installable capacity 32 GiB)
Network: bond0: fault-tolerance (active-backup), mtu 1500 eth0: 1000 Mbps, full duplex, mtu 1500
Kernel: Linux 4.19.107-Unraid x86_64Open
SSL: 1.1.1d

I am having a problem where my unraid usb is going offline and showing some strange error messages on the dashboard page every so often. This happens as frequently as every hour with the longest duration without an issue being like 11 hours. See error messages below. The error message from the thread topic is found in the log files at the time of failure where the usb goes offline. 

Warning: parse_ini_file(/boot/config/docker.cfg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/include/DockerClient.php on line 43

Warning: array_replace_recursive(): Expected parameter 2 to be an array, bool given in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/include/DockerClient.php on line 43

Warning: parse_ini_file(/boot/config/domain.cfg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/include/libvirt_helpers.php on line 466

I am fairly new to unraid and I am trying to get it set up and get shows and movies added to it, but with it failing so frequently it is becoming impossible to actually get anything onto the server. I have also attached diagnostics below from when it failed earlier today. 

Some things I have already tried 

1. Using a different USB

2.Plugging the USB back into a computer and running chckdsk and doing a scan and repair.

3. Ensure I am using a 2.0 port. 

If anyone can help me solve this problem I would greatly appreciate it!!!

plex-diagnostics-20200612-1344.zip

Edited by cooperes

Is there nothing in the diagnostics that would suggest its a software problem or a configuration problem? Unfortunately I don't have another board to try it on so before I go and buy a new board I would just like to make sure it isn't something software related.

Edited by cooperes
13 hours ago, cooperes said:

suggest its a software problem or a configuration problem?

The only way I can think of this being a configuration problem would be if you were using VMs and by mistake passing-though the USB controller where the flash drive is to the VM, other than that this is a hardware problem, flash drive would be the prime suspect, but since you already tried a new one... I guess you could try a different one before trying a different board.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, cooperes said:

More failures tonight...

Flash drive continues to drop:

Jun 13 23:40:43 plex kernel: usb 1-3: USB disconnect, device number 2
Jun 13 23:40:43 plex kernel: print_req_error: I/O error, dev sda, sector 2049
Jun 13 23:40:43 plex kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 1, lost async page write
Jun 13 23:40:43 plex kernel: print_req_error: I/O error, dev sda, sector 31413
Jun 13 23:40:43 plex kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 29365, lost async page write
Jun 13 23:40:43 plex kernel: print_req_error: I/O error, dev sda, sector 468180
Jun 13 23:40:43 plex kernel: Buffer I/O error on dev sda1, logical block 466132, lost async page write
Jun 13 23:40:43 plex kernel: usb 1-3: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
Jun 13 23:40:43 plex emhttpd: error: put_config_idx, 619: No such file or directory (2): fopen: /boot/config/shares/Media.cfg
Jun 13 23:40:43 plex emhttpd: error: put_config_idx, 619: No such file or directory (2): fopen: /boot/config/shares/appdata.cfg

It's either a flash problem, a USB/board problem, or someone is removing it of the server.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

It's either a flash problem, a USB/board problem, or someone is removing it of the server.

Assuming it is a board problem, could I buy a pcie usb card and use that instead of the on board usbs? I guess I am confused about what the board could be doing to cause the usb to drop off.

Also just out of curiosity what is the time error I keep seeing in the logs? Is this something I should be worried about? And if so how do I fix it?

Jun 14 10:50:56 plex ntpd[5616]: kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x4041: Clock Unsynchronized
Jun 14 10:50:56 plex ntpd[5616]: kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x4041: Clock Unsynchronized
Jun 14 10:56:37 plex ntpd[5616]: kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x4041: Clock Unsynchronized

• 2 weeks later...

So just an update on this. I can remain connected without losing connection to the usb for around 10 hours. I got to this point by utilizing a usb cable that plugs directly into the motherboard. The strange thing about the "usb disconnecting" is it only effects my ability to put data onto the server. Even though the docker is not viewable through the ui plex can still retrieve and playback the data. I find this strange as I would assume unraid wouldn't be running any longer since the usb is disconnected so im not sure how plex can still read from the array. Either way currently I just have to restart the server when I am ready to put more shows/movies onto it. I am just going to run like this until I buy a new server and hopefully the issues will remedy themselves with new equipment.