SSD vs HDD Array (New Build)

Iceman24

I have an unRAID build already, using HDD's as array and SSD as cache, but this 2nd one I'm doing has more simple needs and less storage capacity, so I was wondering if there was a reason this wouldn't be ideal. My thoughts were to put a 1-2TB SSD as the only array drive in lieu of 1-2 HDD's as array. I don't need much storage capacity, so SSD's are cheap enough that price wise it'd be around the same anyways. I would use SSD as the main drive for everything. The 1 HDD, only other drive in system I would use as a backup drive using Unassigned plugin. It could be external, but I want to keep it inside the computer. I would send backups to it from the SSD and any other computer(s) on the network, so it really would just be a backup drive, which is why I don't feel the need to mirror it with another HDD. SSD's are quite reliable, plus I'd be backing the data up locally to the HDD regularly, as well as the cloud, plus another SSD like that would really jump the price up.

Any reason why this isn't the best method? I thought about the HDD as the array drive and just put everything on the cache SSD, but then why bother making it array drive if I really just store backups on it?

The only issue with SSDs on the array is the lack of trim, but if you use reasonable quality SSDs should be fine, also I recommended using a faster/higher endurance SSD for parity, like an NVMe device, but if I understood correctly you won't be using parity.

I've been using a small SSD array for a few months and it's still performing great, basically the same as it was when new, and I've written every SSD about 4 times over (parity 20 times over).

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 2:18 PM, johnnie.black said:

The only issue with SSDs on the array is the lack of trim, but if you use reasonable quality SSDs should be fine, also I recommended using a faster/higher endurance SSD for parity, like an NVMe device, but if I understood correctly you won't be using parity.

I've been using a small SSD array for a few months and it's still performing great, basically the same as it was when new, and I've written every SSD about 4 times over (parity 20 times over).

Thanks. I will give it a go, just need to decide on SSD.