Xbox 360

Bags

I am looking at getting one of the new xbox 360's. Should I get the 4gig or the 250 gig? What is the internal storage used for? Can I plug in an external HD or can I create a file on my unraid server? Thanks. I guess I am trying to justify the extra 100 for the 250gb. It seems that could buy another 2TB for the server.

Depends.  Are you getting with the intention of playing games?  If so, then get the 250 GB drive.  This will allow you to install all your disc-style games onto the hard drive for faster load times (though you still have to swap out the discs, unfortunately).  This will also give you plenty of space for downloaded games from Xbox Arcade.  One word of warning - always leave at least a gig of free space on your Xbox HDD.  I once filled mine to the brim and corrupted a save game file (because I was less than the minimum 256 mb req'd to save the game).

You cannot use an external HDD to save any Xbox game related info.  You can use one to play media on the Xbox (movies, music, etc).

I agree that $100 for a 250GB drive is a total rip-off, but 4 GB just isn't enough if you will actually be using it to play games.

If you are buying it just as a streaming device (Netflix, etc.) then the 4 GB model should be fine.

I have a 60 GB drive on my Xbox.  I wish it were bigger, but I'm not going to put any more money into it.  I also play games pretty rarely.