New unRAID build - Fractal Define XL. Please advice

chiz

Hello!

Thanks for all the nice posts and recommended builds. I'm in the process of planning my new server and would like som feedback on choices. I'm located in Sweden so a lot of the US products are out of bounds, linking what i can to newegg for your convenience.

Goals:

*Media Storage, 9 assorted drives, 4x2TB Hitatchi, 1x2TB WD EARS, few 1TB. Eventually up to 12-16 depending on needs.

*Torrents (depending on how well transmission works with RSS feeds and autodownloads

*Airvideo

*FTP server

*possibly SickBeard

In about two years time I'm planning an extra server to take care of everything but Media Storage, but I'm hoping I can make do with all these tasks in unRAID until then.

The spec

Case: Fractal Define XL (10 drive bays, 4x5.25" slots for future upgrade)

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X8SIL-F-B

Memory: 2x Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 Server Memory (Think these are compatible)

CPU: Intel Core i3-540

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX

I also have a Rocketraid 2310 from a previous project, I'm considering selling that and instead getting a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 for expandability.

Any suggestions?

[moderator edit: Repair hyperlinks]

Looks like a nice build, though you could certainly get away with less and maybe save a bit of money.  Hard for me to recommend stuff, though, since I don't know what is available to you.

Double check the compatibility lists on both the Supermicro and Kingston websites to make sure the RAM will work.  Otherwise, I say go for it.

Archived