Array stuck at mounting disks

So I was performing a replacement and upgrade of drives.  No drive had errors.

Before: 4tb parity and 6x2tb data drives

replaced the parity with 8tb wd drive no problems.

Then replaced drive 1 with another 8tb wd, this one took about 30 minutes to mount after I assigned it, then the parity sync finished without problems.

Today I replaced data drive 2 with a 8tb seagate drive, assigned it, and it stayed at mounting drives, for more than an hour, and monitoring the server with top comand didn't seem to be any activity.

I tried the comand reboot and shutdown but it didnt work. the putty session closed but it stayed on, and could login again. the web interface at this point did not respond any more.

then I tried this instructions to reboot https://wiki.unraid.net/Console#To_cleanly_Stop_the_array_from_the_command_line

and this time it took ssh out because I couldn't login anymore, but still did not shutdown, so I forced shutdown on the power button.

so now after reboot the webinterface does not load, and it seems to be stuck at mounting disk2:

root@Unraid:/var/log# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
tmpfs           128M  1.8M  127M   2% /var/log
/dev/sda1        15G   74M   15G   1% /boot
/dev/md1        7.3T  6.8T  584G  93% /mnt/disk1
/dev/md2        1.9T  1.3T  622G  67% /mnt/disk2

I can still acess files on disk 1 and 2, in fact I needed to copy some of them with rsync and it was really slow like 2MB/s

dmesg.txt syslog.txt

sorry it does not have activity leds, and I am working on it remotely because it is 30Km away.  I will only go to the location on Thursday...

but what does unraid do after a drive is added/replaced? does it have to do a full format or something? this is a seagate archive, they are a little slow but I read that many people use them without problem on unraid...

I can ask for someone to force shutdown the server and plug the pendrive on a windows machine so I could update it, if it is the best option now.

thanks

6 minutes ago, napalmd said:

but what does unraid do after a drive is added/replaced? does it have to do a full format or something?

It does a rebuild, but only after mounting all the disks, either the array is really stuck or it's still mounting the array disks, wait a few more hours then post a new syslog so we can see if it advanced.

2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

ok. so I will wait a few more hours, but it is now I think 6 hours in.

Since this is a replacement drive can't I just format it xfs and do a rebuild? it automatically chose reiserfs, maybe because old drive was using it, but the default type in the conig is xfs.

well, after about 8 hours it finally came alive! yay!

the smart short test is still 90% remaining... it might be waiting for the drive to became idle?

But the values 195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered and 240 Head_Flying_Hours are increasing. could be a bad cable?

I'll replace the cable anyway next time, I will have to replace another drive after this parity sync.

Thanks a lot for the help.

imagem.thumb.png.7d6b0d5f2f7b4b311b68d104a06b3fa6.png

9 hours ago, napalmd said:

it might be waiting for the drive to became idle?

Yes.

9 hours ago, napalmd said:

But the values 195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered and 240 Head_Flying_Hours are increasing. could be a bad cable?

Those attributes are not cable related, and likely no indication of any issue, but if you want post the diags once the SMART test and rebuild finish.