(Solved) REISERFS error after 2 disk failure, multiple missteps....

Ok, I first want to thank everyone on this board. I didn't post alot of my questions, but I searched and got almost all of my answers during my "crisis".

I first started with what I thought was a single disk failure, that was actually a 2 disk failure. I wasn't checking my SMART reports on my disks, but appearantly I had one failing, and then another went bad while I was running recovery of the first. Who knows when this started, but I was fat dumb and happy having unRAID serve me all my media files and wasn't giving it the basic attention it needed.

So now, I have been able to pull all my required data off the 2 failing drives (backed up on 2 optical disks, just to be sure). I have rebuilt using 2 new drives, and have gotten my array back online.

I do have a problem still with Disk 4. It appears to have a directory error that is causing the array to be brought online in read only mode.

I have done some research and I *think* I need to run the reiserfsck --rebuild-tree, but I wanted to see if someone could take a look at my log and let me know if the error I'm seeing is something that this will correct.

I learned through this process not to run things you are not 100% sure of.

Thanks.

syslog1-11-4pm.txt

As you said, the disk is being mounted as "read-only"

You'll need to run reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/md4 as described in the wiki here:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Check_Disk_Filesystems

You'll need to stop SAMBA and un-mount the drive to run the repair.

Oh yes, it is impressive you were able to recover from a 2 disk failure by just using previous posts as a guide.  Many less experienced users would have asked for guidance in the initial recovery.  You obviously are not a beginner (or know how to research really well) ;D.

Joe L.

Thanks Joe. I was pretty sure this was what I needed to do.

Yes, dealing with 2 bad disks was quite challenging, but they weren't completely failed when I started. I was able to rebuild using my spares and good parity before the second failed completely. I think I have some corrupt files in my media library, but nothing major.

All of my important docs were pulled off and archived once I got the array back online during the first recovery.

I will report back here once my --rebuild-tree is complete.

Thanks again for all the help.

Ran the --rebuild-tree, and array has started normal.

Just completed the parity check, and everything is online running smooth.

I did have some files appear in the lost+found, but they have no meaningful name or extension, so I don't think there is anything I can do with them.

Thanks again for all the guidance.

Ran the --rebuild-tree, and array has started normal.

Just completed the parity check, and everything is online running smooth.

I did have some files appear in the lost+found, but they have no meaningful name or extension, so I don't think there is anything I can do with them.

Thanks again for all the guidance.

You can try looking at their size, contents. rename with various extensions and attempt to play.

Archived