New Plugin Request

Good Morning all

I was wondering if anyone has been developing a plugin or would like too that would allow unraid to become a simplistic domain controller using Samba or Ldap i was looking at Synology/ Xpenology and it has a ldap plugin that allows the nas to become a simple domain controller i thought this might be useful as with alot of dockers there is a way of connecting user accounts to to a LDAP/ Samba domain. It would be nice if there was a plugin that gave you an addin to the gui allowing you setup up a domain and control users and such like. it would also mean remote access would be made easier using the directory services to control users no i am not talking thousands of users here maybe a max of 50 or something and mostly for home users or maybe small business that don't require a full domain server. 

3 hours ago, Energen said:

Sounds maybe like what openldap is for? Not sure if that's what you want to do..

Yes but i dont think you can then setup unraid to link to the Openldap docker as you wont be able to login to unraid after a restart as the docker will be off. which is why i was thinking it would be better as the base system rather than docker

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 4:22 PM, Energen said:

You shouldn't be allowing anyone to "login to unraid" anyways... Guess I'm confused as to what you actually want to do.  Anyone who has access to Unraid has the potential to really screw things up.

basically like on a Synology and Qnap Nas i want to be able to install ldap server on unraid and use it as the LDAP server and use it to authenticate users so i can restrict shared folders, VPN, piwigo, nextcloud/owncloud, setup desktops and laptops to use multiple user accounts as well as other docker software that can use LDAP integration. so this would enhance my security on unraid rather than just have numourus user accounts on various bits of software and then more accounts in unraid itself. i want to bring it all into one place. also means i can restrict users in what they have access too. 

I might also add that as a feature only synology and QNAP offer this on a NAS os none of the other popular software makes eg NAS4free, freenas, OMV or any of the others offer this as a system and it seems to me that with the every growing size and complexity of using a NAS at home for various software and storage mediums games server etc. having a central LDAP authentication just makes sense as you dont really need a full active directory just a light weight one to manage users.   

Edited by muzzy182uk
additional information added