Assistance with migrating to a proper chassis

itzfantasy

Hello everyone, I've been using Unraid for almost a year now and I've been very happy. What I haven't been happy with is my setup. I've been looking to migrate to a proper chassis for a while now since my current case is less than ideal. I'll spare you the details so you don't cry. I've been eyeing this particular chassis since it seems to fit all my current and near future needs in terms of bay count and whatnot since I'm simply looking to migrate my current hardware and expand from there.

My plea for help comes when looking at the pictures and seeing what seems to be grey "SATA looking" cables that I assume connect to the backplane. There's only two of them so clearly these cables aren't meant to go into standard SATA ports on my current board so my question is what actually are these cables and what kind of interface would I need to add to make it work with my current hardware if possible? From lurking the forums it seems to be some kind of expansion card but I am highly unfamiliar with these.

16 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

The backplane uses 10 standard SATA ports, you can use standard SATA to SATA cables or miniSAS to SATA forward breakout cables if you have an LSI or similar controller.

So just to clarify, would I require a card to make this work on my current setup? Or would I be able to attach every disk individually to the SATA ports on the board and get a card later?

6 hours ago, itzfantasy said:

Or would I be able to attach every disk individually to the SATA ports on the board and get a card later?

You can just the existing controllers, you just  need to replace the 2 miniSAS cables on the chassis with 8 SATA cables to use all 10 slots.