i9-10900k vs 3990x - Help me decide

ytddewqf

Hi, 

As per my previous post;

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/95914-significant-server-upgrade/

The only change I'm making so far is moving to a server rack config. 

My biggest question however is, what route should I go, specifically i9-10900k or 3990x Threadripper? 

I appreciate that this is an age old question, and this comes down to what I will be using it for but I really want to ensure that I'm somewhat future proof. This server will be solely for myself (single VM for Windows gaming, but nothing major), but will run Emby for the whole house (couple of streams). I want to make sure that I have ample possibility for future upgrade if necessary. 

What's everyone's thoughts? 

Edited by LoneTraveler

Morning.  I actually am doing something very very similar.  Upgrading from a Dual Xeon setup to a 3990x.  Put together bug appears I have hardware issues.  Unrelated to UNRAID.  Can’t get windows to install even bare metal.  Swapping motherboards and new RAM this upcoming weekend and will let you know the results.  I also have a rack mount supermicro 4u setup.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Joshewing02 said:

Morning.  I actually am doing something very very similar.  Upgrading from a Dual Xeon setup to a 3990x.  Put together bug appears I have hardware issues.  Unrelated to UNRAID.  Can’t get windows to install even bare metal.  Swapping motherboards and new RAM this upcoming weekend and will let you know the results.  I also have a rack mount supermicro 4u setup.

Hi, 

I can't wait to see how your setup goes, I'll be following very closely! 👍