Question regarding cooling in Lian Li PC-70 case

voldak

I was gifted a Lian Li PC-70 case today. It has the standard setup, and I was basically wondering if the cooling would suffice on this machine.

I currently have 6 HDDs (i have them all in the lower area that has the two 80mm fans there). The 6 HDDs are 2xWD EARS20 2.0tb, 3x7200 rpm barracuda 500gigs, and 1 1.5 samsung F2 ecogreen. I was wondering if there would be any cooling issues with all of the drives placed here. I'm wanting to keep them all in one spot to allow for future growth in other places of the case.

As for the back of the case, I have 2x80mm fans at the motherboard area, and 2x80mm fans above the PSU area. Thanks in advance for the help guys. It'll be a while before I get the whole thing up and running but i'd like to have some good cooling when I get it up!

How comfortable are you with modfying it?

I've got the same case (until recently my main PC was in it) and I drilled out the front and upper rear fan holes to make room for 120cm fans, I managed to get a higher cfm with less noise by doing that.

Luckily for you i've decided to migrate my unRAID system into that case shortly so i'll let you know what the temps are like (I'll only be populating it with 4 or 5 drives initially though in the lower section)

I've honestly never modded a case before, but I don't think it'd be too hard to do. Are you referring to the 2 fans at the front of the case at the bottom? If so, would the fan speed flipper still work with the two 120mm fans at the bottom? Also, did you have to cut out the air intake slot at the front to compensate for the bigger fans?

Also, i'm glad that someone else has the same case. What i'm wanting to do is eventually add another 6-8 drives over time (probably adding them up in the 5.25" bays with adapters) and i'm really worried about air flow

The speed switch would still work but you'll only fit 1 x 120mm at the front instead of the 2 x 80mm fans. I had to cut a hole at the front to make room for the fan, there would have been too much restriction otherwise, it's not the cleanest of mods but you can't see it because its behind the front panel:

Front:

mg9xY.jpg

Also cut the panel at the top rear:

XDqaK.jpg

I'm just waiting for a new mobo to arrive and i'll start building up the case. Hopefully let you know in a day or two

Nice. Thanks for the pic. I'm curious as to what would be the point of 1x120mm fan when there are already 2x80mm fans there? Wouldn't it be fine to leave the 2x80mm fans there and possibly try to add additional fans somewhere in that area?

I'm not trying to be a douche, honestly just curious. Thanks!

I had never really even thought about that, but it makes perfect sense. What are you going to do about the front little dust filter area since you cut part of the case out?

Sorry for all of the questions, i'm trying to get my mind wrapped around what i'm going to have to do to keep this machine from catching fire :)

What are you going to do about the front little dust filter area since you cut part of the case out?

I just left it there, it covers most of the fan so i just give it a blow out from time to time (good practice anyway)

Don't know if two would fit or not, i'll measure it when I open it up

@ Carpet3

Thanks for posting this info. I have one of these cases.  I bought it new thinking the cost of the Lan Li would easily be worth it since I could reuse the case for a very long time. So it's bothered me that design in regards to cooling has changed so much over the years and made this case obsolete. Since I don't like to throw away well made things that I paid a premium for it currently houses my wife's relatively low powered desk station. Now It's nice to know that it's practical to mod it in the future to handle more heat without noise.  8)

Thanks. I ended up scoring a 120x25mm fan. It should be in soon. I did get all of my rig in and setup last night and the drives are running really cool (they are in a garage, and it is winter after all) but I think the 120mm will help when the weather gets warmer. I might eventually (depending on those summer months) look into another 120mm fan for the side of the case that would face those 6 drives.

Archived