NVME ssd as a cache

BRONWYN

Thankyou for reading this,I am a "newb" so forgive my naivety please.I have an i7 6700k on a MSI tomahawk z170a motherboard,it has 32 gb of Gskill 3200mhz ram ,an older R9 390 graphics card,its water-cooled and has far too many fans lol...It also has 2 Kingston ssd's operating in raid-0 as c-drive,plus a 240gb 970 evo thats doing nothing(trying to give it a break from c-drive duties) I want to know from you far more knowledgeable people(than myself) if I could use the 970 as a cache device supporting the 2 raid-0 c-drives...and if so how would I configure it? Once again forgive my ignorance and thankyou for your patience...sincerley Bronwyn(South Africa) keep well... 

58 minutes ago, BRONWYN said:

Thankyou for reading this,I am a "newb" so forgive my naivety please.I have an i7 6700k on a MSI tomahawk z170a motherboard,it has 32 gb of Gskill 3200mhz ram ,an older R9 390 graphics card,its water-cooled and has far too many fans lol...It also has 2 Kingston ssd's operating in raid-0 as c-drive,plus a 240gb 970 evo thats doing nothing(trying to give it a break from c-drive duties) I want to know from you far more knowledgeable people(than myself) if I could use the 970 as a cache device supporting the 2 raid-0 c-drives...and if so how would I configure it? Once again forgive my ignorance and thankyou for your patience...sincerley Bronwyn(South Africa) keep well... 

It is not clear at all from your post if you are intending to run the unRAID OS on this system and use the NVMe SSD as a cache drive for unRAID or if you are asking about it simply as a cache drive for your RAID0 c drive setup in some other operating system.

This is an unRAID forum so, of course, we answer questions related to running unRAID as a NAS OS and Docker/VM host.

unRAID as its name suggests, does NOT support RAID configurations on data drives in the unRAID parity-protected array.  There is also no concept of a C drive for the operating system.  The unRAID OS files are stored on a USB flash drive and are unpacked and loaded into RAM on each server boot.  unRAID runs in RAM, not from a C drive.

unRAID has a cache concept and you can have various drives (usually SSDs) configured in a cache pool which supports a single drive or multiple drives in various RAID configurations.  Only in the cache pool is RAID supported.  The latest beta also supports multiple cache pools.

If you intend to run the unRAID OS on the hardware you mentioned, then yes, the NVMe SSD is a great choice for an unRAID cache drive.  If you are talking about some other OS, you won't find the answers you are seeking in these forums.

Thankyou very much sir,I am afraid I have addressed my question in the wrong place.I was simply asking if I could use the 970 in a raid-0 cache position.Its just so difficult finding your way through this fascinating subject,with no learning except what can be gleaned off the internet.I apologise for bothering you...keep well

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk