Transplanting 2 HDD's & USB key

ytddewqf

Hi,

I currently have a basic server with two 10tb HDD's connected. One is connected via SATA and the second is connected via a USB-20 Pin connection adapter to the motherboard. Everything has been working fine however I am now in a position to upgrade the whole system.

My question is, will I have any difficulties with moving the two HDD's and USB key into an entirely new system? I ask because about a month ago I tried to change the connection of the HDD from the 20-Pin adapter to its own SATA port, however Unraid would not allow it to spin up. The drive was recognised, however from memory I believe it was assigned a new ID, preventing it from joining back up to the array. As such, I was forced to revert back to using the slower 20-Pin adapter. 

I'm hoping that I have missed something simple.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

20200922_165009.jpg

Edited by LoneTraveler
Just now, JorgeB said:

You'll need to do a new config because of the different ID, and if the partition created by the USB enclosure is non standard it might still not work.

Hi, 

Thanks for the feedback. 

Other than copying everything off the drives then rebuilding a new array in the new machine, is there any other way to go? I could really do without the headache of getting all the "software" side of the system setup again. 

New config allows to reconfigure the array devices keeping the existing data.

So, tools -> New config - re-assign both disks (make sure not to assign a data disk to a parity slot) with disk2 using a SATA port and start the array, if both disk mount you're done, if disk2 doesn't mount, repeat the procedure with disk2 back in the USB enclosure, you'll then need to empty it before using a SATA port.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, JorgeB said:

New config allows to reconfigure the array devices keeping the existing data.

So, tools -> New config - re-assign both disks (make sure not to assign a data disk to a parity slot) with disk2 using a SATA port and start the array, if both disk mount you're done, if disk2 doesn't mount, repeat the procedure with disk2 back in the USB enclosure, you'll then need to empty it before using a SATA port.

Really appreciate you taking the time to help me out, many thanks. 👍