[SOLVED] performance issues with SMB shares

Hi,

recently i noticed really bad performance when reading from my unraid NAS. It tops out around 2MB/s. I can still write with 70-90MB/s to it, but reading is really, really slow.

It was a lot better before i shut down my server for about a week or so. After the restart yesterday performance is down by quite a lot when compared to before. After setup i managed to push/pull 90-100MB/s in both directions over gigabit ethernet. I even restartet the unraid server, but that did nothing to solve my problem.

370847518_speednas.PNG.ae33eae07eb5883347b98b39644c6ebf.PNG

My configuration is as follows:

MSI B150 PC Mate

Core i5 6500

16GB RAM

2x WD Red 8Tb HDDs (one is parity for the other)

1x Samsung 850 evo 500GB as cache drive

1x Kingston Data Traveller 2.0 32GB as system drive

I am running unraid 6.8.3 and I am still in the trial period, as I am still unsure wether I will get this issue fixed or not.

Diagnostics are attached as recommended in the "need help?"-thread.

I want to edit my photos of of this NAS, so i really need the performance of ~100MB/s to do that without having to wait forever.

homeserver-diagnostics-20201025-1625.zip

Edited by thomebau

Yeah, after using a standalone netgear Gigabit Switch no changes, after changing all the cables, no changes.

After setting the nic in windows settings manually to gigabit full duplex I get this:

160643512_iperfgigabit.PNG.96ba7da09aba42458d18319fe9a6d1bf.PNG

Don't ask me why it didn't work when auto detecting,  both my fritzbox as well as my netgear switch claimed the PC nic was running in gigabit ethernet mode...

Edited by thomebau
  • Like 1
  • JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] performance issues with SMB shares