Adding SATA card to existing array

Need to add more drives!

NEWBIE : If you have an existing array running, and you remove a single SATA PCIe controller to install a larger one like LSI 9211 and move that existing drive to that controller will you loose the data on the drive because it will be at a new location?

** Worried ** I currently don't have a drive large enough to move my 12TB of data to back it up.

15 hours ago, iDJMic said:

If you have an existing array running, and you remove a single SATA PCIe controller to install a larger one like LSI 9211 and move that existing drive to that controller will you loose the data on the drive because it will be at a new location?

No, Unraid uses serial number, just make sure it's a regular HBA, don't use RAID controllers.

On 10/25/2020 at 6:49 PM, iDJMic said:

Need to add more drives!

NEWBIE : If you have an existing array running, and you remove a single SATA PCIe controller to install a larger one like LSI 9211 and move that existing drive to that controller will you loose the data on the drive because it will be at a new location?

** Worried ** I currently don't have a drive large enough to move my 12TB of data to back it up.

When you start up after swapping the controller, unraid should automatically recognise your drives and have them assigned  .

If there are any issues / missing drives etc. stop and ask for help.