SATA PCIE card: HDDs not visible

Hi everyone,

From scanning the forum I realise this appears to be a recurring problem, but would be grateful for some guidance.

Having maxed out the six SATA ports on my motherboard, I picked up a PCI-E SATA card to add two additional drives (eight drives is a case limitation). The card is a Ziyituod (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07T8XNQT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and appears in both the BIOS and UNRAID GUI as “ASMT109x-_Config_0123456789 – 105mb”, but the two drives attached to it do not display in either. They are recently shucked 12tb drives with the correct pins covered.

The controller can boot in AHCI mode, IDE mode or “no boot” mode – is that at all relevant?

No problems booting the array without the card / additional drives assigned.

My system is as follows:

Motherboard: ASRock B365M-HDV

CPU: Intel Pentium Gold G5400

Is there an obvious solution to this? I've read about the issues with MARVELL controllers, so is the short answer to get a better card, or is there another solution?

Grateful for any input people might have.

unraid.png

When we ask for diagnostics we prefer the full diagnostics (tools -> diagnostics) but for this case the syslog is enough, it appears to be a controller problem/incompatibility, it's only detected as a two port controller, one of them is detecting a virtual device connected, the other no link, since you only need two ports I recommend you replace it with a 2 port Asmedia controller, those work fine.

Thank you for your response. In the meantime I have checked all the cables and rechecked the power pins in the shucked drive. Nothing has changed,  so your prognosis appears correct! I assume the boot options of AHCI mode, IDE mode or “no boot” mode, is not relevant?

Is there a reccomended card with a 2 port Asmedia controller?

Thanks again for your help.