[SOLVED] question about Smartctl usage?

mklv

I'm trying to do a short test with smartctl, so I tried the following command

smartctl -d ata -tshort /dev/sdf

It says to wait until the test is complete, but it's been about 30 minutes and there is no further information. Is it supposed to display the results at the telnet prompt?  I looked in the syslog but it doesn't seem to be there either. What am I missing?  ???

This is all I see on the screen:

root@Tower:~# smartctl -d ata -tshort /dev/sdf

smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build)

Copyright © 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF OFFLINE IMMEDIATE AND SELF-TEST SECTION ===

Sending command: "Execute SMART Short self-test routine immediately in off-line mode".

Drive command "Execute SMART Short self-test routine immediately in off-line mode" successful.

Testing has begun.

Please wait 2 minutes for test to complete.

Test will complete after Mon Jan 24 21:15:04 2011

Use smartctl -X to abort test.

root@Tower:~#

No. It does not display any additional information. It's up to you to request the results with the following command:

smartctl -a /dev/sdf

or

smartctl -d ata -a /dev/sdf

if you absolutely need the -d ata option, be sure to include it. I would think in this day and age that option can be entirely dropped.

I'm trying to do a short test with smartctl, so I tried the following command

smartctl -d ata -tshort /dev/sdf

It says to wait until the test is complete, but it's been about 30 minutes and there is no further information. Is it supposed to display the results at the telnet prompt?  I looked in the syslog but it doesn't seem to be there either. What am I missing?  ???

This is all I see on the screen:

root@Tower:~# smartctl -d ata -tshort /dev/sdf

smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build)

Copyright © 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF OFFLINE IMMEDIATE AND SELF-TEST SECTION ===

Sending command: "Execute SMART Short self-test routine immediately in off-line mode".

Drive command "Execute SMART Short self-test routine immediately in off-line mode" successful.

Testing has begun.

Please wait 2 minutes for test to complete.

Test will complete after Mon Jan 24 21:15:04 2011

Use smartctl -X to abort test.

root@Tower:~#

As BRiT said, run a smart report and near the bottom you will see the results of the test (not terribly spectacular - just pass or fail and a reason).

The reason I'm posting is to compliment you on your sig.  Would be a nice thing to encourage new users to do.  First it lets those wanting to build a server know what components you have assembled, and second it communicates your detailed configuration and helps those trying to respond to your questions to know these details. Not sure if others are doing this, but something drew my eye to your sig.  Great idea!

Archived