[SOLVED] Adding encrypted drives to array

stev0

Hello everybody, great community and I have found many answers here but now have a question that I wasn't able to find. 

I'm in a bad situation after a failed flash drive as I only have a backup from before some significant changes. I've made progress in recovering the array but hit a stopping point with encryption. 

Several weeks ago, I had one unencrypted disk with one parity. This is the point where I have a backup of the flash drive. In the past couple of weeks, I added a few more drives to the array as passphrase encrypted xfs, and migrated all data from my external NAS to these. 

Unfortunately the flash drive failed so I'm now back at the point, configuration-wise, where the array is set up with one unencrypted disk and one parity. Attempting to add the encrypted disks to the array gave the warning that the drives would be cleared, and I do not want to lose that data. 

The drives were unmountable with the unassigned devices plugin, but using a hint I found from another thread, I added a "sacrificial" old spare drive to the array with the same encryption passphrase. So now I can mount the encrypted drives and see the data, thankfully, but attempting to add them to the array still results in the "All existing data on this device will be OVERWRITTEN when the array is Started" warning. 

Is there a way to force unraid to adopt these encrypted drives without clearing them since they have a matching passphrase with the temporary drive I added? 

Edited by stev0
solved

Thank you so much!! I incorrectly assumed this option would reset everything to defaults. This worked and all of my data is accessible in the array again. 

For anybody who may find this thread later, be sure to double check the fs types when you're re-adding to the new array config. 

Thanks again for the quick and helpful reply JorgeB, I really appreciate it. 

• Like 1