Won't Boot after update

Kazera

I updated Unraid OS last night, restarted the server and now it will not boot...

I made a fatal error... I did not backup my USB before doing the update. However, there was no change in hardware, No BIOS settings changed, all I did was the update and now it will not boot up. I have tried all USB ports, I have also tried a second fresh USB created with the downloadable USB creator. It still will not boot.

All I get is a flashing underscore...

I have searched the google to no avail, what might I be doing wrong?

Have you checked the BIOS settings - it is not unusual for a BIOS to spot a change and to try and be helpful and reset the boot device.   The symptom you describe is what you get in such a case.

you can still make a backup as long as you can read the ‘config’ folder on the flash dtive.   That is where all the settings specific to your system are stored.

Thanks for the reply itimpi!,

Yes, I made sure that the USB was still primary boot device.

I'm beginning to think that it is not an Unraid issue but the hardware perhaps (it's quite an old box)... I'm making a win10 boot drive to see if that will boot.

I did also managed to copy everything off the USB after it would not boot, there were no errors on the drive that my windows machine found

I most definitely hate to submit this post.  Partly because I'm an UnRaid newbie, but mostly because I'm both an UnRaid and Linux newbie.

I had endless problems trying to boot Unraid last week.  I wasn't sure if my boot device wasn't selected correctly, or all my USB stick(s) decided to quit on the same day.  I wish I had taken better notes, but my belief is the USB Creator has taken on some new updates, that are maybe not so compatible with older systems?  Syslinux ?

For me anyway, it seemed if I created a USB stick with Rufus specifying Syslinux 4.x, and copied the UnRaid install files over, it would boot for me and install UnRaid.

Hope this post helps to point you in the right direction.

The USB boots as expected in my other machine...

Does that point to a hardware issue?

Is there a way to get the USB back to a pre-update state? like a previous version?

Apologies Greggy, I am more of a newbie than you and do not understand specifying the Syslinux with Rufus.