• 6.10-rcX Intel GPU Render stuck at 100%

Bouxer
    • Minor

Hi!

sometime during the 6.10-rc releases I've started experiencing a problem with my Intel iGPU ( i3-10105 ).
    After Emby attempts one transcode, the iGPU is stuck at 100% load and causes all following transcodes to fallback to software. After long discussions on the Emby forum with Softworkz and @ich777 I think we have come to the conclusion that the Emby-docker is not the issue. The problem persists if the Emby-docker is shut down and will (with my limited knowledge) only be solved by a complete system reboot.

I understand that there has been a lot of changes with the Intel drivers both in the linux kernel and with Unraid specifically during these last months. Any ideas?

tower-diagnostics-20220513-2246.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

@Bouxer please first of all upgrade to RC8 if possible, from your Diagnostics I see that you are still on RC7.

In the system log I also see that your iGPU is in a stale state:

May 13 11:19:39 Tower kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] GPU HANG: ecode 9:0:00000000
    May 13 11:19:39 Tower kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] Resetting rcs0 for stopped heartbeat on rcs0

Do you have any undervolting done to your system in the BIOS itself?

Also please check if you are on the latest BIOS.

Please maybe try to set the Vcore +50mV in your BIOS if you can do that in your BIOS.

46 minutes ago, ich777 said:

@Bouxer please first of all upgrade to RC8 if possible, from your Diagnostics I see that you are still on RC7.

In the system log I also see that your iGPU is in a stale state:

May 13 11:19:39 Tower kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] GPU HANG: ecode 9:0:00000000
    May 13 11:19:39 Tower kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] Resetting rcs0 for stopped heartbeat on rcs0

Do you have any undervolting done to your system in the BIOS itself?

Also please check if you are on the latest BIOS.

Please maybe try to set the Vcore +50mV in your BIOS if you can do that in your BIOS.

I have upgraded to rc8 and it seems to work for now, but this is also what I observed last time. How high does Unraid allow the CPU C-states to go? And is there a way to "force" a certain C-state for testing purposes?

3 minutes ago, ich777 said:

@Bouxer do you have any undervolting applied on your system?

No CPU related settings have been tweaked. The only change I’ve made is apply an XMP profile. I’m going to check if there is a newer BIOS later when I have access.

4 minutes ago, Bouxer said:

I’m going to check if there is a newer BIOS later when I have access.

If your board supports it maybe try to increase you Vcore voltage about 50mV and see if it helps.

Some boards have really conservative power management.

23 minutes ago, Bouxer said:

The only change I’ve made is apply an XMP profile.

Technically this is an over lock of the RAM so can always cause unexpected side-effects.

Thank you for all of your support and feedback.

After I updated to rc8 I have not had any issues. I will wait and see if the same problem occurs again and will then look into my voltages and remove XMP (I won't really benefit from this on Unraid with no VMs anyway I think). 

Btw, will the iGPU and/or driver behave differently in Unraid with a display dummy plug? Currently there is no display or keyboard connected at all.

14 minutes ago, Bouxer said:

Btw, will the iGPU and/or driver behave differently in Unraid with a display dummy plug?

Not sure, but is is unlikely to cause a problem and may just help depending on how the GPU reacts if it does not detect a display.