• 6.12.0-rc3 - Existing ZFS Pool import, results in missing files

samsausages
    • Minor

EDIT:
    I think I found a common denominator on when this happens.  Datasets nestled withing a dataset are what doesn't show up.  Files nestled in the main dataset /pool/documents will show up.  But if you have a dataset /pool/documents/admin then files in /pool/documents/admin won't show up.

I have an existing ZFS pool using the ZFS Plugin.  At first it looked like it imported fine, but many of the directories are empty and the files & some folders are missing.
    I'm assuming the files are still there.  I cloned a snapshot and can see the files, but haven't tried to copy them back over yet.  But I don't have snapshots for all my datasets, so some I can't see the files for at all the datasets.
    As a test, I created a snapshot on a dataset where I had no snapshot, and couldn't see the files, then cloned it.  Doing this I was able to see the files.

So again, I'm sure the files are still there, but I can't browse them.

There is one odd thing I did, my old zfs pool was mounted at /mnt/pool, the new pool is also at /mnt/pool and I named it "pool".  So not sure if that is what is throwing it off, but the only thing I did that was wonky.

EDIT:
    Stopping the array and restarting the array results in the same problem, even after restoring from a snapshot. 

I thought I fixed it with the steps below, but it comes back after I start/stop the array.

Create ZFS Snapshot
    Clone ZFS Snapshot to dataset
    Promote Cloned dataset
    Confirm Files can be browsed
    Delete Old Dataset
    Rename Cloned Dataset to match the old name

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I think I found a common denominator on when this happens.  Datasets nestled withing a dataset are what doesn't show up.

Currently Unraid only mount top level datasets, for now you can fix that with

zfs mount -a

after array start

• Upvote 1
    6 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Currently Unraid only mount top level datasets, for now you can fix that with

zfs mount -a

after array start

I just converted all my datasets to only be top level datasets