• [6.9-beta29] Array device "wrong" after re-paritioning with new alignemnt

JorgeB
    • Solved Minor

How to reproduce:

-have a non-rotational device assigned to the array with the old partition scheme.

-wipe it manually or using the new erase function.

-start array and re-format with new alignment.

-reboot (or make any other array change) and will get a "wrong" device, since Unraid is still expecting the old size.

-you'll need to do a new config to re-accept the device but it will be unmountable, so any data copied since will be lost.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

wipe it manually or using the new erase function.

If parity is valid it should not be possible to do this using the Erase button for exactly this reason.

If one re-partitions manually with expectation that parity should remain valid, well nothing to do about that.

One issue persists: if you have an SSD in the unRAID array with old 4KiB alignment and then disable the device and replace with the same model, the new device will be formatted with 1MiB alignment and thus appear smaller.  The workaround for this is to manually re-partition the device giving it 4KiB alignment and then add to array.  Unraid OS will not overwrite a "valid" partition layout - meaning an Unraid-supported layout which is one of:

MBR: 4KiB alinged

MBR: 1MiB aligned

GPT: 4KiB aligned

GPT: 1MiB aligned

in addition we still recognize the old

MBR: aligned on sector 63 of 512-byte sector size device smaller than 2TiB

25 minutes ago, limetech said:

If parity is valid it should not be possible to do this using the Erase button for exactly this reason.

There was no parity.

25 minutes ago, limetech said:

If one re-partitions manually with expectation that parity should remain valid, well nothing to do about that.

That's not the problem, problem is that Unraid rejects the disk after a reboot, and worse than that partition is invalid and disk can't be mounted again, it's easy to reproduce if you do the steps I outlined above.

Ah ok, I see what you mean.  Easiest solution is to restrict Erase function to wipe the MBR only if the device status is "DISK_NEW".  This means, to re-partition SSD in the unRAID array requires:

1. Main - Stop array
    2. Tools/New Config (preserve slots)
    3. Main - click on device(s) to be re-partitioned, then click Erase
    4. Main - Start array

The Erased devices will then be re-partitioned as part of Format, and also Parity will necessarily get regenerated.

Sound ok?

12 hours ago, limetech said:

Sound ok?

It does, but if I do the procedure like you specified above I still get the same result, i.e., "wrong" disk after a reboot and an unmountable damaged partition.

9 hours ago, JorgeB said:

It does, but if I do the procedure like you specified above I still get the same result, i.e., "wrong" disk after a reboot and an unmountable damaged partition.

Thanks, I think I got to the bottom of it and fixed for next release.

• Like 1

I tried to earlier but there's no option to erase an array device now, so I assumed you removed that functionality for now.

5 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

I tried to earlier but there's no option to erase an array device now, so I assumed you removed that functionality for now.

Erase (type 1):

• wipes LUKS header in partition 1
    • wipes file system signatures from partition 1
    • wipes the MBR partition table signature

Erase (type 2):

• wipes LUKS header in partition 1
    • wipes file system signatures from partition 1

You can only Erase (type 1) if the status of the device is "New", which is what it gets set to for a new array, for new devices added to existing array (before Start), and after Tools/New Config.

If array Started in Maintenance mode you can Erase (type 2) any Data disk.

If array Started normally, Erase is disabled.

2 minutes ago, limetech said:

You can only Erase (type 1) if the status of the device is "New",

Yes, I forgot about that, remembered right after posting, just tested and it's fixed.

• Thanks 1