• [7.0.0-beta.1] Missing "sensors-detect" script from lm_sensors package

Espressomatic
    • Closed

Issue Description

sensors-detect, a script included with the lm_sensors package is missing on the 7.0.0-beta.1 release

This has likely been missing for the past few Unraid releases but was included in some past release, as it exists on my production system, but not on a new system just set up

Without this script, I can't easily identify nor configure support and drivers for all the sensors on my system, including every fan sensor

The driver required in my case is i2c_nct6775 for Nuvuton chips (like NCT6798D) which isn't shown in System Drivers by default. After running sensors-detect and a reboot, the driver shows up

Expectation

7.0.0-beta.1 release notes indicate that the lm_sensors package is included, therefore, I expect that sensors-detect would be installed on the system along with the sensors binary (which is present)

Testing

On a brand new (clean) 7.0.0-beta.1 installation sensors-detect can't be found in the default path locations

On my older system, which has been updated to 7.0.0-beta.1 from 6.12 (and steadily updated since at least early 2018), "sensors-detect" is located in /usr/sbin/sensors-detect

Regression

No regression testing. Unfortunately I don't have the bandwidth at the moment to roll back through releases to find out when the file first went missing

• Upvote 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

@Espressomatic & @xomr92, please open up a Unraid terminal and issue the following command:

sed -i '/Remove sensors-detect script/,+6d' /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.system.temp.plg

After that reboot and see if the issue is solved for you.

I don't have that plugin installed, so sed doesn't do anything. This is also the case for my original system - I don't recall ever having the System Temp plugin installed. But I see where you're going with this, and I may have had it installed on the new system when I first set it up.

Installing the plugin on the new system outputs this:

Verifying package dynamix.system.temp.txz.
    Installing package dynamix.system.temp.txz:
    PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
    Package dynamix.system.temp.txz installed.
    plugin: skipping: sensors-detect - Unraid version too high, requires at most version 6.7.2
    plugin: skipping: sensors-detect - Unraid version too high, requires at most version 6.7.2

Showing that the plugin contains the script but didn't install it on this system.

After running the command above and rebooting, it looks like the script is installed and working.

Deleting the plugin and the sensors-detect script appears to remain. But installing the plugin looks like it not only doesn't install it, but removes the one currently installed.

Looks like the mystery is solved.

Edited by Espressomatic
    15 minutes ago, Espressomatic said:

I don't have that plugin installed

Boot in safe mode to rule out any other plugins, this is from a 7.0.0-beta.1 fresh install:

sensors.JPG

Sorry, I submitted the reply too quickly and was in the middle of an edit with more info/testing as you posted.  Check above, Looks like it was the temp plugin which I likely installed when first setting up this new system (and subsequently removed), that deleted the sensors-detect script.

From the Dynamix Temp plugin (as you already know :) ):

# Remove sensors-detect script (Unraid 6.7 and earlier)
    source /etc/unraid-version
    version=${version:2:2}
    if [[ $((${version/./}*1)) -lt 8 ]]; then
      rm -f /usr/sbin/sensors-detect
    fi

So yeah, I quess "0" is less than "8" and poof!

Thanks so much for figuring this out.

Edited by Espressomatic

The PR is now merged, please update the Dynamix System Temp plugin, reboot your server and everything will work as usual.

• Like 1