• Hang/Crash on 6.12.4-rc18

NewDisplayName
    • Minor

Hi, after the disaster with 6.12 i came now back to the RC (i know theres a newer one but i wait some time for that).

Again my server crashed (im not quite sure if really, because i saw the shell on monitor still - but couldnt interact with it)...

I didnt have logs, but ill enabled them for now, so we get a log file after next crash (or what ever happens).

I noticed this:

root@Unraid-Server:~# docker network ls
    NETWORK ID     NAME                  DRIVER    SCOPE
    263e8f1295d3   bridge                bridge    local
    d05eb8ca1c65   eth0                  macvlan   local
    ba7d287b5243   name                bridge    local
    c426a08021c6   host                  host      local
    d2b93c4c6a03   none                  null      local
    04fb1877a554   webserver_webserver   bridge    local

It says eth0 macvlan? As far as i know i disabled macvlan in docker. Thats my network config (i tried to do it as descriped in the RC18 post)

image.thumb.png.ade209b9ef2ad17b1b6d9bc20170c646.png

So whats wrong, how do i get eth0 to ipvlan?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Please take another look at the 6.12.4-rc18 announce post, the whole goal of the changes in this release is to allow users to enable macvlan.

If you are fine using ipvlan, then you can use the default settings that Unraid ships with:
    * Settings -> Network Settings -> eth0 -> Enable Bridging = Yes
    * Settings -> Docker -> Docker custom network type = ipvlan

If ipvlan doesn't work for you (some example reasons are in the announce post) then you can enable macvlan by using the new settings from the announce post.

It is difficult to guess why the system crashed, I'd recommend enabling this: Settings -> Syslog Server -> Mirror syslog to flash. If there is a crash you will find the syslog in the logs folder on your flash drive. Note that you should not run in this mode long term as it does increase writes to the flash drive.

Please upload both the diagnostics and that syslog if there are issues.

14 hours ago, ljm42 said:

Please take another look at the 6.12.4-rc18 announce post, the whole goal of the changes in this release is to allow users to enable macvlan.

If you are fine using ipvlan, then you can use the default settings that Unraid ships with:

If ipvlan doesn't work for you (some example reasons are in the announce post) then you can enable macvlan by using the new settings from the announce post.

It is difficult to guess why the system crashed, I'd recommend enabling this: Settings -> Syslog Server -> Mirror syslog to flash. If there is a crash you will find the syslog in the logs folder on your flash drive. Note that you should not run in this mode long term as it does increase writes to the flash drive.

Please upload both the diagnostics and that syslog if there are issues.

Thank you for your fast response.

Like i said i already enabled log again.

Its advised to use ipvlan, thats what ive set docker to. Question is why is that:

root@Unraid-Server:~# docker network ls
    NETWORK ID     NAME                  DRIVER    SCOPE
    263e8f1295d3   bridge                bridge    local
    d05eb8ca1c65   eth0                  macvlan   local
    ba7d287b5243   name                bridge    local
    c426a08021c6   host                  host      local
    d2b93c4c6a03   none                  null      local
    04fb1877a554   webserver_webserver   bridge    local

When i set it to ipvlan?

In which config file i can look which config is really set? You know i had the problem that unraid didnt removed debrie out of the network.cfg once i removed my 2. network card, so i wanna make sure its correctly in that .cfg.

Since i didnt had problem with ipvlan (its was enabled even before upgrading to RC) i would rather go with the recommended setup. / if that changes, i might go back to macvlan.

Edited by nuhll
    4 hours ago, nuhll said:

Its advised to use ipvlan, thats what ive set docker to. Question is why is that:

When i set it to ipvlan?

According to your screenshot, you have disabled bridging. In 6.12.4-rc18+, when you do this the system automatically enables macvlan and the ipvlan option is removed. In this mode macvlan should be safe to use, we would need to see logs from a crash to figure out what happened.

But if you are fine using ipvlan, then you can use the default settings that Unraid ships with instead:

Ah, okay, that wasnt clear from the instructions. 

Edit: im now on RC19, ipvlan and bridge enabled, will report back if crash/freeze again.

Edited by nuhll