• [RC4] Docker container reports false 'update ready'

Elvin
    • Annoyance

About 2/3 of my containers report they have 'update ready', but they actually not.

For example, when applying update for one it will show that the image is update to date:

IMAGE ID [1891699668]: Pulling from rclone/rclone.

TOTAL DATA PULLED: 0 B

But after applying this 'update', and check for updates, it will show 'update ready' again.

What's weird is not all of my containers are this stubborn, so far I couldn't tell what's in common among those stubborn ones.

Does anyone else has the same issue? Any clue is appreciated.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Best I can offer up is what is 192.168.50.1 on the network (your DNS server)  I'm assuming it's one of your VMs and possibly not communicating correctly with dockerHub (Possibly due to the challenges involved with your geographic location)  Nothing else stands out to me.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

Best I can offer up is what is 192.168.50.1 on the network (your DNS server)  I'm assuming it's one of your VMs and possibly not communicating correctly with dockerHub (Possibly due to the challenges involved with your geographic location)  Nothing else stands out to me.

That's a legitimate guess and those challenges are the PITA.

And yes 192.168.50.1 is a VM running OpnSense on another Proxmox box.

We have some weird setup to deal with those challenges and I just double checked they are working correctly. With the same setup I can access docker hub just fine. I also tried removing a container (also remove image), and I could install it again just fine, which is safe to assume I have proper access to docker hub? Yet the newly installed container reports update available right after.

How does Unraid know if a container has update? What happens when Check For Updates is triggered? Does it go through all containers and check with docker hub one by one? Could there be any kind of cache involved in this process?

OK after trying everything, I refromatted the USB drive and used Unraid USB Creator to create a brand new RC4, then copied files under config to the newly created drive, excpet these two files:

docker.cfg

domain.cfg

Now docker container updates actually pulled down new versions, after updating all containers and check for new version doesn't report false updates any more.

If anyone is interested, here are the content of my 'old' docker.cfg

DOCKER_ENABLED="yes"
    DOCKER_IMAGE_FILE="/mnt/user/system/docker/docker.img"
    DOCKER_IMAGE_SIZE="30"
    DOCKER_APP_CONFIG_PATH="/mnt/user/appdata/"
    DOCKER_APP_UNRAID_PATH=""
    DOCKER_CUSTOM_NETWORKS="eth1 "
    DOCKER_LOG_ROTATION="yes"
    DOCKER_LOG_SIZE="50m"
    DOCKER_LOG_FILES="1"
    DOCKER_AUTHORING_MODE="no"
    DOCKER_USER_NETWORKS="preserve"
    DOCKER_TIMEOUT="10"
    DOCKER_NETWORK_TYPE="1"

For reference, the newly created docker.cfg has only one line:

DOCKER_ENABLED="yes"

What might be interesting is this line: DOCKER_CUSTOM_NETWORKS="eth1 "

I do have two nics but eth1 is disabled, only running eth0 now. Not sure if that's related.