• Single parity drive not possible for new array - only 2 - v7.0.0 beta2

docpilot
    • Closed

2missing.thumb.jpg.836e470fecf50745b4fcd2545d815b74.jpg

2missing2.jpg.b78a78b758565baba5b9409b9e52eb97.jpg

Hi!

I'm new to Unraid. Had it running for test purpose, now on a new custom build homserver.

I needed to change the motherboard and CPU because the Intel build was defect after a couple of weeks, now switched to AMD AM5 platform.

On the new system I now encounter I cannot establish a new array with only 1 parity drive. In the dropdown menu there is the first selection after "None" the "3" slots, a "2" is missing. When I select "3" slots Unraid gives me 2 parity and one array drive. For higher numbers of slots/drives it's the same. It's not possible to select a 1 parity plus 2 (or more) drive configuration, like I had it before.

Don't know if it's really a bug or if I am missing out something.

Before building the new array, I deleted every previous share and config , unassigned all drives and choose "new config" in settings.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

PS: forgot to say the array won't start due to misconfig and you cannot delete the Parity 2 ....

only4.thumb.png.e53bcda98cfb4af0acb8e34c64d61e00.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

You do not HAVE to select ANY parity drives.    The reason 3 is the default if you do not select None is so that you can decide how many parity drives you want to protect the array data drives.    You can assign none, 1 or 2 - up to you.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

You do not HAVE to select ANY parity drives.    The reason 3 is the default if you do not select None is so that you can decide how many parity drives you want to protect the array data drives.    You can assign none, 1 or 2 - up to you.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I do not even need to create an array in v7.  But when I do and want e.g. 1 parity plus 2 drives like shown in the screenshot the array does not start. You cannot select "none" for the parity drives only. When you select "none" you cannot assign any drive either, when I assign 1 and no second parity drive the array is not starting. That's the situation.

1 hour ago, docpilot said:

You cannot select "none" for the parity drives only.

You don't select none, you select the total number of slots you want (the 2 parity slots will always exist), and leave one or both parity slots unassigned