• Unable to seamlessly import pools due to naming restrictions in Unraid 6.12.0 RC2

Marshalleq
    • Minor

Hi all, very exciting to see ZFS finally arrive into unraid!

I guess this is a request or perhaps it's validation of roadmap, presently I have the following problem:

My pools are named SSDPool1, SSDPool2, HDDPool1, HDDPool2 etc. RC2 currently limits the pool naming from what is available in native ZFS to lowercase only, no special characters and no numbers at the beginning or end of the pool name.  So I have at least two of those things I must change.

So easy right?  I can just make it ssd1pool, ssd2pool etc I suppose.  Annoying but I can live with that.

However, what I must also do, is redo all my docker containers, vm's, probably some plugins and other things I'm not thinking of to reference the new mount point.  Yes I CAN do this, however it is a lot more work and true to the title, not a seamless import.

Another option might be to keep the new restricted pool name and manually set a new mountpoint back to the original.

Can someone from unraid confirm two things so that I know how to progress?

1 - Are we stuck with this naming restriction, or is it on a plan somewhere to relax / remove it in a later rc?

2 - If I change the mountpoint manually, will unraid respect that, or is there some reason why I need to keep it the same as the pool name as set in the GUI?

Many thanks for all your hard work.

Marshalleq.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I just bit the bullet and made the changes everywhere. Took 45 mins, but since ZFS is now native in unRAID I just want to use the defaults and dont want to break future updates ;)

But since I dont have a 360 degree overview I cannot see why the pool-names have to be lowercase