• Unraid cannot manage, create, or add pools with > 30 drives

juchong
    • Closed

I have a server with 45 x 18TB drives in it. XFS is not an option because an array of >28 data drives is not supported and the rebuild times on such a massive array is gross.

ZFS arrays expanded via the command line to contain > 30 drives seemingly break the GUI. The specific configuration I'm trying to set up is:

RAIDZ-2, 15 drives per VDEV, 3 VDEVs total

I'm trying to add all the drives in the attached image to a single pool (ZFS or otherwise).

IMG_3518.jpg

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Pools only support up to 30 devices each, this is not a bug, it's a limitation, you can create multiple pools or make a feature request for more devices to be supported in a pool.

2 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Pools only support up to 30 devices each, this is not a bug, it's a limitation, you can create multiple pools.

This is a garbage limitation. I'm trying to optimize space utilization and hard links. How am I supposed to do that?

How can Unraid claim to support ZFS when it can't even support a fundamental feature of ZFS by imposing an artificial limit?!

Edited by juchong
    5 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Pools only support up to 30 devices each, this is not a bug, it's a limitation, you can create multiple pools or make a feature request for more devices to be supported in a pool.

@JorgeB it's quite unfortunate that admin edits to posts are not viewable by the public. Your initial response was not very professional and highly dismissive. I'll be reaching out to support about this and requesting a refund. You can't claim to support ZFS without supporting n number of drives.

27 minutes ago, juchong said:

it's quite unfortunate that admin edits to posts are not viewable by the public. Your initial response was not very professional and highly dismissive.

Not my intention, and sorry if you took like that, just edited my post because I forgot to mention the feature request forum, which would be the correct place to ask for this, not the bug reports since it's not a bug.

image.png