• Unraid OS version 6.9.0-beta35 available

limetech

New in this release:

GPU Driver Integration

Unraid OS now includes selected in-tree GPU drivers: ast (Aspeed), i915 (Intel), amdgpu and radeon (AMD).  These drivers are blacklisted by default via 'conf' files in /etc/modprobe.d:

/etc/modprobe.d/ast.conf
    /etc/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf
    /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf
    /etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf

Each of these files has a single line which blacklists the driver, preventing it from being loaded by the Linux kernel.

However it is possible to override the settings in these files by creating the directory 'config/modprobe.d' on your USB flash boot device and then creating the same named-file in that directory.  For example, to unblacklist amdgpu type these commands in a Terminal session:

mkdir /boot/config/modprobe.d
    touch /boot/config/modprobe.d/amdgpu.conf

When Unraid OS boots, before the Linux kernel executes device discovery, we copy any files from /boot/config/modprobe.d to /etc/modprobe.d.  Since amdgpu.conf on the flash is an empty file, it will effectively cancel the driver from being blacklisted.

This technique can be used to set boot-time options for any driver as well.

Better Support for Third Party Drivers

Recall that we distribute Linux modules and firmware in separate squashfs files which are read-only mounted at /lib/modules and /lib/firmware.  We now set up an overlayfs on each of these mount points, making it possible to install 3rd party modules at boot time, provided those modules are built against the same kernel version.  This technique may be used by Community Developers to provide an easier way to add modules not included in base Unraid OS: no need to build custom bzimage, bzmodules, bzfirmware and bzroot files.

To go along with the other GPU drivers included in this release, we have created a separate installable Nvidia driver package.  Since each new kernel version requires drivers to be rebuilt, we have set up a feed that enumerates each driver available with each kernel.

The easiest way to install the Nvdia driver, if you require it, is to make use of a plugin provided by Community member @ich777This plugin uses the feed to install the correct driver for the currently running kernel.  A big thank you! to @ich777 for providing assistance and coding up the the plugin:

Linux Kernel

This release includes Linux kernel 5.8.18.  We realize the 5.8 kernel has reached EOL and we are currently busy upgrading to 5.9.

Version 6.9.0-beta35 2020-11-12 (vs -beta30)

Base distro:

• aaa_elflibs: version 15.0 build 25
    • brotli: version 1.0.9 build 2
    • btrfs-progs: version 5.9
    • ca-certificates: version 20201016
    • curl: version 7.73.0
    • dmidecode: version 3.3
    • ethtool: version 5.9
    • freetype: version 2.10.4
    • fuse3: version 3.10.0
    • git: version 2.29.1
    • glib2: version 2.66.2
    • glibc-solibs: version 2.30 build 2
    • glibc-zoneinfo: version 2020d
    • glibc: version 2.30 build 2
    • iproute2: version 5.9.0
    • jasper: version 2.0.22
    • less: version 563
    • libcap-ng: version 0.8 build 2
    • libevdev: version 1.10.0
    • libgcrypt: version 1.8.7
    • libnftnl: version 1.1.8
    • librsvg: version 2.50.1
    • libwebp: version 1.1.0 build 3
    • libxml2: version 2.9.10 build 3
    • lmdb: version 0.9.27
    • nano: version 5.3
    • ncurses: version 6.2_20201024
    • nginx: version 1.19.4
    • ntp: version 4.2.8p15 build 3
    • openssh: version 8.4p1 build 2
    • pam: version 1.4.0 build 2
    • rpcbind: version 1.2.5 build 2
    • samba: version 4.12.9 (CVE-2020-14318 CVE-2020-14318 CVE-2020-14318)
    • talloc: version 2.3.1 build 4
    • tcp_wrappers: version 7.6 build 3
    • tdb: version 1.4.3 build 4
    • tevent: version 0.10.2 build 4
    • usbutils: version 013
    • util-linux: version 2.36 build 2
    • vsftpd: version 3.0.3 build 7
    • xfsprogs: version 5.9.0
    • xkeyboard-config: version 2.31
    • xterm: version 361

Linux kernel:

• version 5.8.18
    • added GPU drivers:
    • CONFIG_DRM_RADEON: ATI Radeon
    • CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_USERPTR: Always enable userptr support
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU: AMD GPU
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_SI: Enable amdgpu support for SI parts
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK: Enable amdgpu support for CIK parts
    • CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_USERPTR: Always enable userptr write support
    • CONFIG_HSA_AMD: HSA kernel driver for AMD GPU devices
    • kernel-firmware: version 20201005_58d41d0
    • md/unraid: version 2.9.16: correction recording disk info with array Stopped; remove 'superblock dirty' handling
    • oot: Realtek r8152: version 2.14.0

Management:

• emhttpd: fix 'auto' setting where pools enabled for user shares should not be exported
    • emhttpd: permit Erase of 'DISK_DSBL_NEW' replacement devices
    • emhtptd: track clean/unclean shutdown using file 'config/forcesync'
    • emhttpd: avoid unnecessarily removing mover.cron file
    • modprobe: blacklist GPU drivers by default, config/modprobe.d/* can override at boot
    • samba: disable aio by default
    • startup: setup an overlayfs for /lib/modules and /lib/firmware
    • webgui: pools not enabled for user shares should not be selectable for cache
    • webgui: Add pools information to diagnostics
    • webgui: vnc: add browser cache busting
    • webgui: Multilanguage: Fix unable to delete / edit users
    • webgui: Prevent "Add" reverting to English when adding a new user with an invalid username
    • webgui: Fix Azure / Gray Switch Language being cut-off
    • webgui: Fix unable to use top right icons if notifications present
    • webgui: Changed: Consistency between dashboard and docker on accessing logs
    • webgui: correct login form wrong default case icon displayed
    • webgui: set 'mid-tower' default case icon
    • webgui: fix: jGrowl covering buttons
    • webgui: New Perms: Support multi-cache pools
    • webgui: Remove WG from Dashboard if no tunnels defined
    • webgui: dockerMan: Allow readmore in advanced view
    • webgui: dockerMan: Only allow name compatible with docker

Edited by limetech

• Like 11
    • Thanks 5

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

20 minutes ago, scott45333 said:

Is there a special step needed for HW transcoding in Plex? I have followed the usual steps. Installed drivers via Nvidia Driver, but had to remove "--runtime=nvidia" from Plex extra parameters because the install would fail. I cannot seem to get HW transcoding to work now.

Install new beta35 -> Reboot -> Download the 'Nvidia-Driver' from the CA App -> then I would recommend to reboot again -> then add the '--runtime=nvidia' back to the container and everything should work as expected again.

If you remove '--runtime=nvidia' the container can't access the Nvidia driver.

• Like 1
    49 minutes ago, scott45333 said:

Is there a special step needed for HW transcoding in Plex? I have followed the usual steps. Installed drivers via Nvidia Driver, but had to remove "--runtime=nvidia" from Plex extra parameters because the install would fail. I cannot seem to get HW transcoding to work now.

Oh, have you restarted the docker service after you installed the Nvidia-Plugin or at least restarted Unraid itself?

That's a necessary step on the first installation of the plugin!

The warnings and the notifications should have said that.

Thanks for the release.

On the docker tab I can't seem to access the docker logs with either basic or advanced view.

I thought it may have neen because I am using the docker folder plugin. But having removed it the problem still persists.

........  Edit -- ha found where to get to the logs now!! Its accessed  by clicking the docker icon.

1609762445_ScreenShot2020-11-14at15_25_38.png.57642246dc24cf6c0a532abb804c88d8.png

Thats much better there. Was always annoying when in the advanced view having to switch back to basic to see the logs :)

• Like 5
    4 minutes ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

On the docker tab I can't seem to access the docker logs with either basic or advanced view.

Also if you click on the icon of the container and on Logs?

3 hours ago, trurl said:

Unraid doesn't install to the flash. The flash is just the archives of the install. It installs into RAM.

This is why I don't comment much; I manage to completely miss the obvious most of the time.

Reasoning for not including drivers off the bat makes complete sense now, carry on.

<dons flame suit>

The whole thing of saving a couple of hundred meg here and there at the cost of making things more effort to use just seems like an odd compromise.

Reading back through, I see one usage case of somebody using a small drive, I have no idea what the average size of an unraid drive is, but I suspect it's not going to be stretched by adding in the drivers to the default installer.

It's 2020, usb drives are cheap, we have high speed internet, I'd take ease of use every day of the week.

• Like 1

Installed Beta 35 > rebooted > installed plugin > rebooted. I'm not seeing my Quadro P400 and it isn't listing my driver version. See below. 

image.thumb.png.436ad9035a6446cd0bfa8dcc3c0846bd.png

What am I doing wrong here?

Edited by Scroopy Noopers
    25 minutes ago, Fizzyade said:

<dons flame suit>

The whole thing of saving a couple of hundred meg here and there at the cost of making things more effort to use just seems like an odd compromise.

Reading back through, I see one usage case of somebody using a small drive, I have no idea what the average size of an unraid drive is, but I suspect it's not going to be stretched by adding in the drivers to the default installer.

It's 2020, usb drives are cheap, we have high speed internet, I'd take ease of use every day of the week.

See the post above yours. It gets loaded directly into ram. Speaking as someone who doesn't have a nvidia card, I personally don't want my ram used up for something I don't have.

Edited by NNate
    • Like 5
    25 minutes ago, Scroopy Noopers said:

Installed Beta 35 > rebooted > installed plugin > rebooted. I'm not seeing my Quadro P400 and it isn't listing my driver version. See below. 

Are you sure the device is not bound to VFIO?

Can you give me the output of 'nvidia-smi'?

EDIT: Also it seems something goes wrong at installing the driver at least it sould display the version number...

EDIT2: It should look something like this:

grafik.thumb.png.37777aa273313c08816d90d1acbe1e46.png

39 minutes ago, Fizzyade said:

As I said I'm using a 1GB SLC based flash drive and those are really not cheap, sure the 1GB drive isn't available anymore but it is rock solid and very durable since it's SLC.

https://www.transcend-info.com/Embedded/Products/No-711

• Like 1

I think the point is most would be upset having to need an additional 400MB of RAM just for a driver they'll never use. 

sure it's 100MB when on the USB but when it's extracted at boot and stored directly into RAM, it's using 400. That's a lot. 

• Like 4
    3 minutes ago, Dava2k7 said:

I have one question and one question only if I update to beta 35 is my Vm going to work again with my Nvidia 1050ti?

In my case the VM with Windows 10 and a Passthrough of a GTX1060 works flawlessly.

If you don't need the driver then don't install it, it's meant for acceleration in Docker containers.

• Like 2

@limetech

Not wanting to dogpile on to you, but you would do well to go above and beyond in rectifying the situation with any communality developers that have issues.

The community plugins and features that supply so much usability and functionality to unraid that are lacking in the base product actually make unraid worth paying for. if you start loosing community support, you will start to loose it all. with that I am sure I and others will not recommend people to purchase and use your software.

@CHBMB @aptalca  @linuxserver.io

Maybe a cool down period is needed, but don't just pack up your things and go home, it's all too common for companies to ignore users and communities, a large part of the community is often invisible to them hidden behind keeping the business running and profits. it makes it easy for customer facing employees to make statements that might be taken as insensitive. 

Edited by stephen_m64
    • Like 8
    • Thanks 1
    15 minutes ago, ich777 said:

In my case the VM with Windows 10 and a Passthrough of a GTX1060 works flawlessly.

If you don't need the driver then don't install it, it's meant for acceleration in Docker containers.

Thanks il give it a go then 👍🏻

Great that integration of 3rd party modules into the kernel is being being helped by people that don't know how that 'works'. 

@limetech this is a situation of your own making which has just been made worse by your replies.  I was looking for a project under our 2nd COVID lockdown and I think you've just given me it.

2 hours ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

ha found where to get to the logs now!! Its accessed  by clicking the docker icon.

Yeah, except that I'm in the same boat as you and can never find them in the new setup, and I'm the one who moved them to the dropdown to begin with :), but it makes more sense there and unifies the interface between the dashboard and the docker tabs.

I'm actually starting to think that maybe "Basic" view should be removed, as the two views are now very close to each other.

• Like 2
    • Thanks 1
    6 minutes ago, reapola said:

Great that integration of 3rd party modules into the kernel is being being helped by people that don't know how that 'works'. 

Are you kidding?

• Haha 1
    1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Are you sure the device is not bound to VFIO?

Can you give me the output of 'nvidia-smi'?

EDIT: Also it seems something goes wrong at installing the driver at least it sould display the version number...

EDIT2: It should look something like this:

grafik.thumb.png.37777aa273313c08816d90d1acbe1e46.png

As I said I'm using a 1GB SLC based flash drive and those are really not cheap, sure the 1GB drive isn't available anymore but it is rock solid and very durable since it's SLC.

https://www.transcend-info.com/Embedded/Products/No-711

nvidia-smi reports no device found, however here is the screenshot of devices

image.thumb.png.8315830a9ef9d2ea10bc0179e0e89736.png

As far as the driver number goes, I'm not sure why it isn't reporting.

20 minutes ago, ich777 said:

Are you kidding?

Nope, looking seriously at all the main players again - migrated from Readynas pro over 4 years ago which was also propped up by its community as to inbuilt limitations by design or lack of forethought.

Edited by reapola
    • Normal humans often can't see all the ways messaging can be interpreted (this is why we have comms people)
    • The most offensive sounding things are often not intended in that fashion at all.
    • Written text makes communication harder because there are no facial or audio cues to support the language

I expected our community developers (being that they've clearly communicated in text behind screens for many years) would understand that things aren't always intended as they sound.

In this regard, I support @limetech wholeheartedly.

Nevertheless the only way to fix this is probably for @limetech to privately offer an apology and discuss as a group how to fix, then publish back together that it's resolved.

(30 years managing technical teams - seen this a few times and it's usually sorted out with an apology and a conversation).

• Like 8
    • Thanks 1
    34 minutes ago, Marshalleq said:
    • Normal humans often can't see all the ways messaging can be interpreted (this is why we have comms people)
    • The most offensive sounding things are often not intended in that fashion at all.
    • Written text makes communication harder because there are no facial or audio cues to support the language

I expected our community developers (being that they've clearly communicated in text behind screens for many years) would understand that things aren't always intended as they sound.

In this regard, I support @limetech wholeheartedly.

Nevertheless the only way to fix this is probably for @limetech to privately offer an apology and discuss as a group how to fix, then publish back together that it's resolved.

(30 years managing technical teams - seen this a few times and it's usually sorted out with an apology and a conversation).

They (the community devs in question) have stated they weren't communicated behind the scenes as you expected which is where this discussion of unraid vs community developers has erupted from.

Glad you've planted your flag though.

Edited by reapola