• unRAID V7.0.0-Beta.2 Bug With USB HDD Name Changes To Something Eles

I Enjoy Creating Videos
    • Solved Minor

Hello Everyone,

i have a USB HDD that i put in a zpool just a single disk pool and it works fine in V6.12.11 however when i upgraded to V7.0.0-beta.1 it will say that the usb hdd name has changed to "Seagate_Expansion_SW_00000000NT180A5J-0:0" and that causes the zfs pool to say the disk is missing how ever it is still there it just shows up in unassigned devices with that' new name this also happens in the new v7.0.0-beta.2 as well i thought i would ask if anyone else is having this problem? or knows when it will be fixed?

Thank you!

jasper-diagnostics-2024-07-18-20.46 PM V7.0.0-Beta.2.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

It's a known issue with some USB devices, you should be able to do a new config or re-import the pool, let us know if you need more help for that.

in V6.12.11 it will show the 8tb hard drive with the name and serial number like the normal way that drive names show up in unraid' but when i upgrade to V7.0.0-Beta.2  it will change the name to like a generic controller name in stead of the normal hard drive name. i can delete the pool name and redo it and then select the new name and it will then import the new generic name of the hard drive and all the data is there and i can use it but the problem is it wont show the drive temps it has it stared out * like the drive is asleep and if i click on it to look at the information about the drive like smart test or attributes it is blank and wont tell me about the drive.

Thanks for your reply    

is that something they changed in V7.0.0-Beta.2 because it works fine in V6.12.11 so i am guessing they changed something that is causing it.

Thanks for commenting

14 minutes ago, I Enjoy Creating Videos said:

is that something they changed in V7.0.0-Beta.2 because it works fine in V6.12.11 so i am guessing they changed something that is causing it.

Thanks for commenting

It  could easily be nothing that Limetech did, but a side-effect of having a newer kernel.

Add this to the syslinux boot options and reboot:

usb_storage.quirks=0bc2:2035:u

After /bzroot, like the mitigations option below

image.png

• Thanks 1
    3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Add this to the syslinux boot options and reboot:

usb_storage.quirks=0bc2:2035:u

After /bzroot, like the mitigations option below

image.png

Thank you very much that fixed the problem. 😎 

8 hours ago, I Enjoy Creating Videos said:

Thank you very much that fixed the problem.

Glad to hear, I've found that the issue is caused by the Linux kernel disabling SAT passthrough for all Seagate external drives when using UASP:

/* All Seagate disk enclosures have broken ATA pass-through support */
    if (le16_to_cpu(udev->descriptor.idVendor) == 0x0bc2)
    flags |= US_FL_NO_ATA_1X;

This is what causes the name change, and also SMART and temps no longer working, the kernel option I posted above forces using the old usb-storage driver, the same as it was with v6.12, UASP may have better performance, but without temps and SMART it's not a good option, there's also an option to not disable SAT passthrough with UASP, but that may not be safe, if the support for that is really broken with that device.

Posting here again so that I can link to this in the future, affected users with Seagate USB drives can find the device ID by going to Tools - System devices - USB devices:

image.png

Then click on the flash drive and scroll down to Syslinux Configuration, add to the boot option(s) you use after /bzroot

usb_storage.quirks=0bc2:XXXX:u

Replace XXXX with the correct product ID, e.g.:

image.png

If you want to try UASP while overriding the default NO_ATA_1X flag, so that the name doesn't change, and SMART and temps still work, use instead:

usb_storage.quirks=0bc2:XXXX:

But not sure what the issues could be if SAT passthrough support really is broken for the device you are using, it appears to work fine for the device I used to test, but didn't do extensive testing, so try that at your own risk, the first option is safe, since it will revert back to the the standard usb-storage driver, same as it was used with v6.12 and earlier.

• Like 1

ok thank you for adding the extra information this will help if i ever need to come back for a refresher, and for others who have the same problem :) 

i do have a question? what does the mitigations=off do by the way'

because i added that command as well to the end of usb_storage.quirks=0bc2:2035:u then everything worked but i was not sure if i needed that command so that is why i am asking

Thanks