• ZFS - atime on by default, disable?

samsausages
    • Solved Minor

Noticing that Unraid enables atime by default on zfs pools/datasets.  Most of my workloads do not need atime on, so I usually disable it on my datasets.  I have a feeling you all have already had this discussion, but I couldn't find any posts referencing atime, so I thought I'd bring it up.
    I would like to be able to default it to off, or have a way to disable it.  Right now I just send the command via CLI, but this doesn't work well for folders/datasets that are cached, as they are created and destroyed depending on usage.
    (would also be nice to do the same for recordsize, but I have read that will be introduced at some point)

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

All filesystems mounted by Unraid, including zfs, are mounted with the noatime option, so it should always be disabled:

May 11 09:27:10 Tower7 emhttpd: shcmd (77): /usr/sbin/zfs mount -o noatime cache

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

All filesystems mounted by Unraid, including zfs, are mounted with the noatime option, so it should always be disabled:

May 11 09:27:10 Tower7 emhttpd: shcmd (77): /usr/sbin/zfs mount -o noatime cache

I just created a test share (dataset) on a pool using the Unraid "shares" GUI, set to the zfs pool exclusively.  This is the result for "zfs get atime" for the newly created dataset.

image.png.0e4eb248ff4c55e08256e1c2c2372897.png

When I check the log to see how the pool is mounted at array start, I can confirm that the pool is mounting with 'noatime', as follows:

May 11 06:23:08 bertha emhttpd: shcmd (7997749): /usr/sbin/zfs mount -o noatime workpool

But the datasets I create using Unraid do show atime=on for the dataset itself.

Yeah, after replying was doing some Googling and looks like there's an issue where zfs does not respect the -noatime mount option, I'm going to bring this to LT's attention.

• Like 1