• ZFS format error

jkirkcaldy
    • Minor

Running 6.12.0-rc5, I backed up my cache drives, erased them and tried to format as a ZFS mirror. No matter what I do it will not format, it gives me errors about unmountable drives. 

I've pulled the drives and they format fine on another PC. 

Diagnostics attached. 

storageserver-diagnostics-20230512-2011.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I have seen it fail to format when an existing partition exists on the disk.
    Remove the disks from the pool.
    Use the "unassigned devices" plug-in to delete the partition on the drive

re-add the disks to the pool and format.

When formatting flash based devices that report trim support Unraid runs blkdiskcard to do a full device wipe:

May 12 20:10:37 storageserver emhttpd: shcmd (2634): /sbin/blkdiscard /dev/sds
    May 12 20:10:45 storageserver kernel: sd 1:0:17:0: [sds] tag#1158 UNKNOWN(0x2003) Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=DRIVER_OK cmd_age=0s
    May 12 20:10:45 storageserver kernel: sd 1:0:17:0: [sds] tag#1158 Sense Key : 0x5 [current]
    May 12 20:10:45 storageserver kernel: sd 1:0:17:0: [sds] tag#1158 ASC=0x21 ASCQ=0x0
    May 12 20:10:45 storageserver kernel: sd 1:0:17:0: [sds] tag#1158 CDB: opcode=0x42 42 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 18 00
    May 12 20:10:45 storageserver kernel: critical target error, dev sds, sector 935328896 op 0x3:(DISCARD) flags 0x800 phys_seg 1 prio class 2
    May 12 20:10:45 storageserver root: blkdiscard: /dev/sds: BLKDISCARD ioctl failed: Remote I/O error
    May 12 20:10:45 storageserver emhttpd: shcmd (2634): exit status: 1

Looks like that combo is returning trim support when it doesn't support it, LSI SAS2 HBAs don't support trim, try connecting the SSDs to the onboard SATA controller.

Also, please post the output of:

hdparm -I /dev/sds | grep TRIM

If you rebooted since last diags check that one of them is still sds

On RC6 now. 

I cleared the partitions using the unassigned devices plugin and then turned off auto trim in the cache settings. 

The formatting worked. Though I will get a newer HBA that supports Trim soon.