• [6.10.0RC7-6.10.2] Odd behaviour of libvirt

ghost82
    • Minor

Hi,

I tested unraid 6.10.1 and 6.10.2 but I think the issue comes from 6.10.0RC7 when libvirt 8.2.0 was introduced.

It seems there are several issues:

1. Unraid gui (xml view):

Reference post:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/123933-unraid-610-win10-vm-not-able-to-start-intel-btwifi-3168-device-error-code-10/

The user was trying to use:

<qemu:capabilities>  
        <qemu:del capability='usb-host.hostdevice'/>  
      </qemu:capabilities>

to avoid error 10 on its bluetooth device.

Issue:

he first added only that block of code before the closing </domain> tag in the unraid gui (xml view); after pressing the update button there was no output error, but viewing again the vm settings in xml view mode there was no trace of that block.

If the vm is modified with 'virsh edit VmName' then it outputs an error (no validated schemas found for that block).

That's because additionally to that block he needed to modify from:

<domain type='kvm'>

to:

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>

Changes through the unraid gui (xml view) or through virsh edit command work.

The issue is that unraid gui (xml view) is exiting without outputting any error, and the user thinks everything was correctly modified, but it wasn't.

2. Second issue:

Reference post:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/120232-atheros-ar9280-wireless-card-bar-error

The user is trying to add property x-msix-relocation for his wifi device.

Libvirt 8.2.0 introduced <qemu:override> to be able to override properties for passed through devices.

The sintax is:

<qemu:override>
          <qemu:device alias='YOURALIASHERE'>
            <qemu:frontend>
              <qemu:property name='x-msix-relocation' type='string' value='bar2'/>
            </qemu:frontend>
          </qemu:device>
        </qemu:override>

together with:

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>

Both these changes aren't saved, both through the unraid gui (xml view) and with the 'virsh edit VmName': both do not output any error, but changes aren't applied.

This is more tricky, because in my manjaro build (as host) changes are applied correctly with the 'virsh edit VmName'.

In this build I have:

libvirt-1:8.3.0-1-x86_64

qemu-XXXX-7.0.0-10-x86_64

I don't think the issue is with qemu 6.2 included in unraid, maybe an update to libvirt (from 8.2.0 to 8.3.0) worth a try.

PS: I'm seeing during boot that there is a checksum on bzroot file, I don't know if it prevents boot or not if the checksum fails (for 'security' reasons), so I can't repack/replace the binaries inside it, without maybe cracking any additional binary...thing that I don't want to do to troubleshoot this more.

• Thanks 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.