LAST CALL on the Unraid Summer Sale! 😎 ⌛ ×
  • [6.11.5] Unexpected behavior when moving files between shares with differing cache and disk assignments

aburgesser
    • Closed

I apologize for being on a lagging version. I have not allocated the down time to update yet.

Conditions:

• Source share includes Disk 2 and has prefer cache set
    • Destination share includes Disk 1 with no cache
    • Use Krusader to transfer file(s) from the source share to the destination share

Observed Behavior:

• Files are available in the destination share
    • Files are located in source share's cache (along the expected path for the new share)
    • Files are absent from the disks included in the destination share
    • Mover does not appear to move the files from cache to Disk 1. Double checked with manual mover invocation though scheduler.

Expected Behavior:

• Moved files in this scenario should eventually wind up on the included disks of the destination share. I see several options to realize this:
      • When files are moved to a share that has "cache: no" set, files will expunged from the cache (once they are in an included disk).
      • Alternatively, mover should review all cache pools for each share for these kinds of remnants.

Related behavior (hypothesis only. no observation)

• What happens when a share with files in cache drops the cache pool?

finarfin-diagnostics-20230926-2222.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Not sure I follow, seems like you expect the mover to move files from one share to another?

Source share includes Disk 2 and has prefer cache set

Destination share includes Disk 1 with no cache

Mover does not appear to move the files from cache to Disk 1

This is because you used Krusader and used a 'move' option rather than copy/delete.    It means you ended by-passing the User Share system and hit the issue described in this section of the online documentation accessible via the Manual link at the bottom of the Unraid GUI.  In addition every forum page has a DOCS link at the top and a Documentation link at the bottom.

You would not have gotten this behaviour if you had used Dynamix File Manager to perform the operation as it always uses a copy/delete strategy just to avoid issues like this (amongst others) that can happen even when you request a move.   It would also have worked as expected if you had used a copy/delete strategy from within Krusader.

Thanks itimpi. This behavior is a perfect example of what is documented. I now vaguely recall seeing advice to copy/delete over moving now, but it looks like the tutorials I view still uses move operations in Krusader. Doh!

I guess I will need to be more mindful of this going forward. I wish there was some kind of mover invocation/behavior that would resolve files stranded on a cache pool. Yes, I could change cache settings of the destination temporarily, but a share can only have one cache pool so it fails as a general solution and requires further follow-up for full resolution.

Will I also see this behavior if I do the move via SMB?

2 hours ago, aburgesser said:

Will I also see this behavior if I do the move via SMB?

You should not as the shares will then look like different mount points at the Linux level but it should be easy enough to do a quick test.

it is probably more efficient to use the Dynamix File Manager plugin as this avoids going over the network.

I was mostly asking about SMB behavior as less technically inclined users of my servers may execute a move between shares using SMB. It hammers the network, but moving files via explorer is their workflow. Getting other users to change behavior is typically not viable.

I probably will continue to use Krusader. I find it a faster workflow than the Dynamix File Manager. I'll just need to be mindful of this behavior. I'll probably do cache to disk transfers to avoid the issue unless Mover of Fix Common Issues are extended to handle files orphaned on a cache.

Edit: SMB behavior is a true move. Explorer interprets the two shares as not the same mount and defaults to a copy for drag and drop.

Edited by aburgesser
    6 hours ago, aburgesser said:

I was mostly asking about SMB behavior as less technically inclined users of my servers may execute a move between shares using SMB. It hammers the network

Since Windows 8.0 Samba supports server side copy, so if you use Windows explorer the files will be copied locally, not transverse the network.