• [6.12.0] The compression setting is missing from an imported ZFS pool

Keniji
    • Closed

I have a ZFS pool created via steini84's plugin. I remember I've follow the suggestion to enable the compression as lz4, like:

zfs set compression=lz4 myzpool

And I also remember I've ever confirmed this compression setting not long before. But today after I've imported my ZFS pool, I found the compression is shown as "off", no matter on the webUI or with command zfs get compression myzpool. Then I use the above set compression command again, and later I try get compression and see:

NAME     PROPERTY     VALUE           SOURCE
    myzpool  compression  lz4             local

But in the webUI I see the compression is still "off". Am I doing anything wrong?

Any BTW is there anyway I can enable the automatic snapshots? Should I still use steini84's ZnapZend?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I found the compression is shown as "off", no matter on the webUI

Do you mean you've set compression to ON for that pool and it's not on? Please post the diagnostics after doing that and starting the array.

On 6/17/2023 at 10:31 PM, JorgeB said:

Do you mean you've set compression to ON for that pool and it's not on? Please post the diagnostics after doing that and starting the array.

I found in Terminal the compression was again shown as "off" after I reboot my NAS, I then stop the array on webUI and manually set Compression to "on" and now in Terminal I can also see the compression is "on". However, with webUI I am not able to set a compression algorithm, so I use a command zfs set compression=lz4 mypool to do this (just an example and I know I should use the real name zpoolhd in my real case).

Now on webUI I only see the compression is shown "on", without showing the compression algorithm, is it normal? Or should I collect a diagnostics per the current state?

image.png.af2f8c642749b19e5bddebe97dd2e1cb.png

Edited by Keniji
    Corrent the command I used
    5 hours ago, Keniji said:

with webUI I am not able to set a compression algorithm, so I use a command zfs set compression=lz4 mypool to do this

You don't need to do this, Unraid already uses lz4 when compression is enabled.

16 hours ago, JorgeB said:

You don't need to do this, Unraid already uses lz4 when compression is enabled.

Thanks, I've checked the compressratio property for some folders, all > 1.00x, and these folders and their contents were written before the time, when zpool has been imported to Unraid 6.12. Since the compression will not apply to old files which were written before the compression is set to "on", I think the compression must be enabled before and Unraid mistakenly recognized and set the compression as "off".

Well, now that my zpool seems to be normal, I hope I am the only one who encountered this issue...