• [6.12.13] NVMe no longer working

hawihoney
    • Closed Minor

My system has two NVMe attached to the motherboard. This combo worked throughout the latest releases without any problems. With the installation of 6.12.13 one of the two NVMe throws errors now:

Aug 27 08:19:17 Tower unassigned.devices: Mounting partition 'nvme1n1p1' at mountpoint '/mnt/disks/NVMe2'...
    Aug 27 08:19:17 Tower unassigned.devices: Mount cmd: /sbin/mount -t 'xfs' -o rw,relatime,discard '/dev/nvme1n1p1' '/mnt/disks/NVMe2'
    Aug 27 08:19:17 Tower kernel: XFS (nvme1n1p1): Mounting V5 Filesystem
    Aug 27 08:19:17 Tower kernel: XFS (nvme1n1p1): Ending clean mount
    Aug 27 08:19:17 Tower unassigned.devices: Successfully mounted '/dev/nvme1n1p1' on '/mnt/disks/NVMe2'.
    Aug 27 08:19:21 Tower emhttpd: shcmd (197): /usr/local/sbin/mount_image '/mnt/pool_nvme/system/docker/' /var/lib/docker 10
    Aug 27 08:19:24 Tower emhttpd: shcmd (214): /usr/local/sbin/mount_image '/mnt/pool_nvme/system/libvirt.img' /etc/libvirt 1
    Aug 27 08:35:19 Tower emhttpd: spinning down /dev/nvme1n1
    Aug 27 08:35:19 Tower emhttpd: sdspin /dev/nvme1n1 down: 25
    Aug 27 12:34:49 Tower kernel: nvme nvme1: controller is down; will reset: CSTS=0xffffffff, PCI_STATUS=0xffff
    Aug 27 12:34:49 Tower kernel: nvme nvme1: Does your device have a faulty power saving mode enabled?
    Aug 27 12:34:49 Tower kernel: nvme nvme1: Try "nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0 pcie_aspm=off pcie_port_pm=off" and report a bug
    Aug 27 12:34:49 Tower kernel: nvme 0000:09:00.0: Unable to change power state from D3cold to D0, device inaccessible
    Aug 27 12:34:49 Tower kernel: nvme nvme1: Removing after probe failure status: -19
    Aug 27 12:34:49 Tower kernel: nvme1n1: detected capacity change from 1953525168 to 0
    Aug 27 13:48:39 Tower kernel: XFS (nvme1n1p1): metadata I/O error in "xfs_imap_to_bp+0x50/0x70 [xfs]" at daddr 0x3ae0bca0 len 32 error 5
    Aug 27 13:48:39 Tower kernel: XFS (nvme1n1p1): metadata I/O error in "xfs_imap_to_bp+0x50/0x70 [xfs]" at daddr 0x3ae0bca0 len 32 error 5
    Aug 27 13:49:03 Tower kernel: XFS (nvme1n1p1): log I/O error -5
    Aug 27 13:49:03 Tower kernel: XFS (nvme1n1p1): Filesystem has been shut down due to log error (0x2).
    Aug 27 13:49:03 Tower kernel: XFS (nvme1n1p1): Please unmount the filesystem and rectify the problem(s).

Should I go back to to the previous Unraid release?

Diagnostiics attached.

Thanks in advance.

tower-diagnostics-20240827-1549.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Device is dropping offline, try adding that to syslinux.cfg, after /bzroot:

Try "nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0 pcie_aspm=off pcie_port_pm=off"

You have your motherboard-mounted NVMe drive mounted using the unassigned devices plugin. Is that intentional? Just want to make sure that isn't part of your issue.

1 hour ago, T0rqueWr3nch said:

Is that intentional?

Yes. I always wanted both NVMe as a 2-device pool. But I don't trust BTRFS and ZFS seems way to complicated to me. So I replicate the first pool device to the second one mounted thru Unassigned Devices via User Scripts. With multi-Array support - whenever it will arrive - I will change that to a 2-device Unraid array.

15 hours ago, JorgeB said:

nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0 pcie_aspm=off pcie_port_pm=off

The interesting part is that this device was available after reboot for a short period of time. And after that it was gone silently. This combo was running happily for years with previous Unraid versions.

Is this correct?

image.thumb.png.22c7a332e641c34990d1942d76e188da.png

I will reboot then and report.

Thanks.

Edited by hawihoney

A kernel change can sometimes make this issue visible, or help with it, see if that helps.

With these settings in syslinux.cfg the second NVMe was missing completely. After removing this setting this NVMe is still not visible. Looking like an hardware error.

I remember these kinds of errors years ago. I could solve that with Shutdown/Restart instead of Reboot. Next time I will try Shutdown/Restart again.

***EDIT*** Couldn't wait. Did a complete shutdown and did restart with the Powerknob on the Supermicro case. Bingo. NVMe2 is back again. I must remember this. Never do a reboot on my system, shutdown the system completely instead.

Edited by hawihoney
    1 hour ago, hawihoney said:

After removing this setting this NVMe is still not visible.

You usually need to power cycle the server to get the device back, just rebooting is not enough.

17 hours ago, JorgeB said:

You usually need to power cycle the server to get the device back, just rebooting is not enough.

That's what I found out exactly. See above.