• 6.12.2 Repeatedly Reboots <48hrs

TheFullTimer
    • Minor

Began seeing crashes with 6.12 and I've been unable to pin it down.  Sometimes it happens within 24 hours, sometimes a little over 48 hours.

• I tried going with all containers off and it occurred a day later.
    • Sometimes it's when watching Plex, and sometimes it's hours after I go to sleep.
    • Thought it might be from switching to ZFS on cache so I switched back to BTRFS.
    • Thought it might be RAM but Memtest 86 passed default tests.
    • Deleted all VM's
    • Turned off Powersaving

I'd be happy to know it's something I'm missing, and if this is in the wrong sub-forum kindly correct my ignorance and move.
    (Logs extracted from Syslog Watcher Manager.  Crash event occurred on July 10th, but I also attached logs covering startup on July 09th through event.)

Thanks,
    TheFullTimer

marshall-diagnostics-20230710-1847.zip Syslog-marshall-07.10.23.log Syslog-marshall-07.09-to-07.10.log

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Do you know what time it crashed? The only out of the ordinary thing I see logged are these:

2023/07/10 15:37:26.989    Marshall    Error    kernel    Jul 10 15:37:06    Marshall    kernel            i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] *ERROR* Fault errors on pipe A: 0x00000080
    2023/07/10 15:37:26.989    Marshall    Error    kernel    Jul 10 15:37:06    Marshall    kernel            i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] *ERROR* Fault errors on pipe A: 0x00000080

I assume the iGPU is used for Plex? If not you could try blacklisting the i915 driver.

Crash was approximately 18:30 on July 10th.  I was using plex with the iGPU at the time and the stream stopped abruptly.  I logged into the webgui which is noted at 18:31:13.364.

Plex had been in use for an hour or so so those errors at 15:37 were likely when a movie stream had begun.

Probably not practical, but if you can try a couple of days after blacklisting the iGPU driver, of course Plex wouldn't be available. 

Well I double checked and realized I had followed the older guide to implementing the i915 transcoding.  So I've switched to the newer method and if that fails I'll be switching back to blacklisting i915 and using CPU transcoding to test.

Additionally, I checked and Asus has updated the Bios on this board like 3 times since purchase so there may be some stability issue.