• 6.12.4 - Gets unresponsive (Have to Cut power & hard reboot)

casperse
    • Urgent

Hi All

Over night the system gets unresponsive (I cant even telnet into the server).

So cutting the power is my only option.

This time I did set an alarm to see when it would "go down"

image.png.7cc2bdabf9f3fca7dfe6545daf611fc2.png

image.thumb.png.176c1ac65e0ff396aabb758a3cbc4399.png

2023-09-05 23:55:42 - unresponsive

And I did the diagnostic just after hard reboot.

I hope someone can help me find out what is causing this, after the upgrade?

(FYI: I have replaced my PSU and my USB flash)

Its like the network just "dies" next time I will try to ping the server....

Really hope someone can help me, I miss the old days where a reboot happend once a month 🙂

diagnostics-20230906-0645.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Alr

On 11/17/2023 at 12:40 AM, IISanitariumII said:

I am having this issue as well; I am currently monitoring my server. I downgraded it all the way back down to 6.10.3 and will see if the server crashes again.

Here's all the troubleshooting that I have done before getting to this ridiculous point!

Troubleshooting:

• I have replaced SATA cables
    • Power Supply
    • CMOS
    • Ran repair on USB flash
    • New Configs applied as well.
    • Memory is down clocked
    • Replaced Hard drives and Unraid server continues to crash after Parity-Sync

Not hopeful at this point at all.

Alright, I am adding an update. Server has brand new USB. Copied config data over which is of-course NEW! Anyways, make a long story short. I am down to one stick of RAM. I will test the others and probably make a MEMTEST bootable USB. Monitor goes blank but you are still able to ping the server.

Last thing I will test is the ethernet adapter and use a USB and disable or remove the onboard from the equation and see if that's it. If that doesn't work I will most likely chalk it up to a hardware problem! 

I don't know something deep down inside of me is saying to completely remove UNRAID from the equation and just a different OS and see if my server crashes!  Which I DOUBT!

On 11/27/2023 at 5:26 PM, IISanitariumII said:

Alr

Alright, I am adding an update. Server has brand new USB. Copied config data over which is of-course NEW! Anyways, make a long story short. I am down to one stick of RAM. I will test the others and probably make a MEMTEST bootable USB. Monitor goes blank but you are still able to ping the server.

Last thing I will test is the ethernet adapter and use a USB and disable or remove the onboard from the equation and see if that's it. If that doesn't work I will most likely chalk it up to a hardware problem! 

I don't know something deep down inside of me is saying to completely remove UNRAID from the equation and just a different OS and see if my server crashes!  Which I DOUBT!

Alright, so here we are. I was finally able to find the Power Supply Idle Control and disable that within my AMD B450 Ryzen 1st Gen Motherboard. I can't believe I stumbled upon on it. Furthermore, I have low hopes that this will work, but I will run the server for 24 hours and let you all know if this has fixed the issue. 

So far though, what I have noticed is that the server is currently running and playing a movie and no drops.

KNOCK on wood. It's running server version: 6.10.3 and I am too afraid to update this BIOS. Granted, I never had to do disable Power Supply Idle Control before when I ran this software version back in 2021 so.........shrugs.

But I can say for me the USB replacement did not do the trick. I hope my pain and suffering will help someone! I have put over 5k in this server since 2012 so I would never purchase a Synology when I have something that is built by my own hands with love. Keep you all updated!

Having the same problem after moving up to 6.12.4.  I will do my best to keep the Unraid dashboard closed.  Did not have this problem before upgrading.

Below we see the issue started at 2:21pm 01/10/2024 and 18 hours later I had to restart the server.  Luckily the dashboard is still usable for me.

image.thumb.png.19ce348075bfab99ec407d8562c747bf.png

On 2024/1/12 at AM11点19分, DerfMcDoogal said:

升级到 6.12.4 后遇到同样的问题。我会尽力保持 Unraid 仪表板关闭。升级之前没有这个问题。

下面我们看到问题于 2024 年 1 月 10 日下午 2:21 开始,18 小时后我不得不重新启动服务器。幸运的是,仪表板对我来说仍然可用。

image.thumb.png.19ce348075bfab99ec407d8562c747bf.png

I have the same problem

On 4/12/2024 at 11:28 PM, RocketSLC said:

Possibly unrelated, but for those having issues, are C-States enabled in your BIOS?

Yes, C-States are enabled on my Server.

Same issue, got massive amount of nchan memory error messages with UNRAID 6.12.10

# awk -v phrase="Increase nchan_max_reserved_memory" '{count += gsub(phrase, "")} END {print count}' /mnt/user/system/syslog-127.0.0.1.log.1

Here are a lot more reports:

Probably cause by leaving UNRAID WebUI open in Browser for long time (18h+ / days) ?

Looks like a Bug.

Edited by pixeldoc81
    update
    42 minutes ago, pixeldoc81 said:
    On 4/12/2024 at 2:28 PM, RocketSLC said:

Possibly unrelated, but for those having issues, are C-States enabled in your BIOS?

Yes,

The reason I asked is I had a similar issue (albeit I didn't save the logs) and disabling C States made my system stable. Perhaps worth a try.