• 6.6 Upgrade - GPU Passthrough Issues

CSeK
    • Solved Minor

Upgraded from 6.5.3 to 6.6 stable version. Everything looks good and was running as expected until I attempted to start my Windows 10 vm with GPU passthrough (GTX1080)

Threadripper 1950x cpu

PCIe override downstream/multifunction

vfio-pci with appropriate details enabled at startup

Working smooth in 6.5.3 and previous versions

Now with exact same settings in 6.6 the VM fails to start with log codes stating GPU stuck in D3 state.

Reverted to 6.5.3 and continues to start as expected without issue.

Upgraded again to 6.6 - issue persist

Reverted to 6.5.3 and works fine.

Still running 6.5.3 at the moment where I generated diag files. Let me know if I need to upgrade, attempt to boot vm and then run diag again.

unraid-diagnostics-20180920-1449.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Attached is the 6.6 diag.

Upgraded to 6.6

Booted VM and terminated after stuck in D3

Logs say...

2018-09-20T20:42:51.541859Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio: Unable to power on device, stuck in D3
    2018-09-20T20:43:03.206433Z qemu-system-x86_64: terminating on signal 15 from pid 7961 (/usr/sbin/libvirtd)

Fails to kill VM stating resource is busy

Downloaded the diag.

unraid-diagnostics-20180920-1643.zip

You scared me a little as I came here trying to find info on the new PCIe ACS Override options (e.g. Downstream, Multifunction) without any luck, but just checked out my VM and GPU pass-through is still working after the upgrade.  One difference I noticed between our setups was the ACS Override settings...

Yours

BOOT_IMAGE=/bzimage pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction vfio-pci.ids=10de:1b80 vfio-pci.ids=10de:10f0 vfio-pci.ids=1b73:1100 vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 initrd=/bzroot

Mine

BOOT_IMAGE=/bzimage pcie_acs_override=downstream initrd=/bzroot

I'm not sure if you manually added the other portions or not, but mine is much more simplistic.  Both your 6.5.3 and 6.6.0 installs appear to have the same settings, so maybe that's not the issue?  I'll attach my Diag bundle in case it helps you out.

undou-diagnostics-20180921-0213.zip

On older versions of UNRAID i had to use the pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction option to break down my IOMMU groups to get the GPUs in its own groups. With the newest BIOS (AGESA 1.1.0.0) + Unraid 6.6 this isn't needed anymore. At least for me. All my network adapters are still in one group and the USB controllers which i don't passthrough anyway. Maybe check if you're on an up-to-date BIOS? @CSeK I also dissabled the ACS-Override option in the VM-Manager settings and everything works.

Edit:

Your logs show you're on an old BIOS

Sep 20 16:41:34 unRAID kernel: DMI: System manufacturer System Product Name/ROG ZENITH EXTREME, BIOS 0902 12/21/2017

ASUS released a new version in august with the newer AGESA version. 

ROG ZENITH EXTREME BIOS 1402
    Update AGESA 1.1.0.1 Patch A to support AMD 2nd Gen Ryzen™ Threadripper™ processors

Edited by bastl

Updated the BIOS

Re-applied BIOS settings

• Server Virtualization
    • Enumerate IOMMU

Booted unraid

Booted VM

Profit.

@bastl - thanks for the suggestion there

Side note - I removed the acs override before attempting bios update and same result

Side note 2 - since i removed the acs override already, i did not re-enable that function before attempting the BIOS upgrade as well. (i have updated bios and no acs overrides set currently)