• [6.7.2] FreeBSD 11.3, 12, 12.1 no network interface detected

WashingtonMatt
    • Minor

All currently supported versions of FreeBSD (11, 12,12.1) do not detect any emulated network interface. I discovered this after upgrading from FreeBSD 11.2 to 11.3. Rolling back restores network interface. 

I have reproduced the issue by downloading the installer ISO for 11.2, 11.3, 12, 12.1, and creating new VMs. ONLY the 11.2 installer is able to detect a network interface.

Q35-3.1

SATA primary vdisk

e1000-82545em

I believe something in unRAID needs to be updated for continued compatibility with supported versions of FreeBSD. I believe this is isolated to unRAID, but I don't have a way to confirm.

I am currently unable to install security patches due to not being able to upgrade to a supported version of FreeBSD.

I understand FreeBSD guest on unRAID is not popular, so please at minimum take a few minutes  to confirm the issue, and state whether you intend to resolve the issue in future releases so I can make a decision on how to proceed.

I have posted about this on the thread below, but have not gotten any responses. 

unraid-diagnostics-20191119-2116.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Instead of waiting for a "fix", Unraid should go the way PVE is doing it - FreeBSD works perfectly with VirtIO under PVE.

I'm running both 11.3 and 12.1 VMs under PVE without any issues whatsoever.

Disk: VirtIO SCSI

Network: virtio

Edited by ChewbaccaBG

I'm not familiar with PVE. Do you have any idea what the difference is? My understanding is unRAID is just wrapping up existing Virtio/QEMU packages. 

I put all my eggs in one basket with unRAID, so this is quite the bummer. MacOS works, why not FreeBSD?

1 hour ago, WashingtonMatt said:

I'm not familiar with PVE. Do you have any idea what the difference is? My understanding is unRAID is just wrapping up existing Virtio/QEMU packages. 

I put all my eggs in one basket with unRAID, so this is quite the bummer. MacOS works, why not FreeBSD?

I don't know what the difference is, exactly, but the fact is - it works. I'm baffled as to how Unraid is handling this - Bug reports, basically blaming the OS developers, instead of looking for a way to make it work. And for a way - there is one, PVE (Proxmox VE) is an example.

I really hope Unraid gets this fixed soon...

Edited by ChewbaccaBG