• 6.8.3 Time Machine Share

coffeeroasted
    • Minor

After creating a user share name "time machine" and selecting Export = "Yes/Time Machine", share is not accessible via Time Machine disk selection. SMB settings in unRaid set to enhanced macOS interoperability. Upon reviewing "time machine.cfg", I noticed that "shareFruit" setting is set to no. When changing "shareFruit" setting to yes, share is accessible through Time Machine.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This is the link I used to debug my share: Using Linux or Windows as a Time Machine network server

The things he points out that are required to enable Time Machine support were:

• The fruit module, which provides Apple’s proprietary extensions to SMB,
    • The catia module, which maps the encoding of filenames that macOS expects to a form most native Linux filesystems can support,
    • The streams_xattr module, which maps macOS’s extended attributes to a separate AppleDouble file,
    • Optionally, the spotlight module, which builds a Spotlight search index on the server to speed up discovery of files in the backup, and
    • Avahi, a multicast (aka Bonjour) daemon for Linux, used here to allow Macs on the network to discover the Time Machine share.

I assume unRaid enables Avahi when macOS interoperability is enabled and I don't see anything in the config files supporting catia, streams_xattr, or spotlight, but it seems to work great between Avahi and the fruit module.

Same issue here. Have tried editing /boot/config/shares/timemachine.cfg and /etc/samba/smb.conf with no luck.

So I'm experiencing the same issue with my Time Machine share it looks like. Tried changing "shareFruit" also and to no avail. So I take it this is a (hopefully) known issue with 6.8.3? Hopefully we get a fix for it soon. Can't do any backups for my Macs! 

8 hours ago, yanksno1 said:

So I'm experiencing the same issue with my Time Machine share it looks like. Tried changing "shareFruit" also and to no avail. So I take it this is a (hopefully) known issue with 6.8.3? Hopefully we get a fix for it soon. Can't do any backups for my Macs! 

It simply does not work on unraid full stop for many people.

• Like 1

Hey Guys,
    I dont know if the issue I am having is simliar or something completly else.

I have the following situation. For months my Girlfriend and I had a working TimeMachine Share on our unraid server. We never had any issues making Backups and everything just worked.

However, since about 3 weeks everytime my TimeMachine connects to the server it says that it has checked the backup and in order to improve reliability, it needs to create a new Backup. Well I dont have a problem if it needs to do that once. Yet now, a day after it finished we both get the same message again and there is no point to always create a new backup for about 7-8 hours.

I have tried to change pretty much everything on the share itself, set the share to not use the drive cache, to only use one single disk. I even created an entirely new TM share (no cache use, only write on one disk) and removed the old share as backup disk from the TM settings. Still no result. It managed to do two backups yesterday on the new share but right now it wants to create a new backup again.

I am really out of ideas what do do next. Sadly I cant code or anything like that. Addtinally, my mums synology TM also wants to create a new back up now.

Anyone has any idea what the reason for this might be or has experienced similar issues?

Many thanks in advance.