• Diagnostics never finishes due to huge # of files

Kaldek
    • Minor

I cannot reboot my unRAID server without terminating the diagnostics process, nor can I run diagnostics. This is because I have a share used by Frigate NVR called "cctv" with 53,000 small MP4 files inside it and 3,400 of these are on the cache right now.  The diagnostics process tries to collect data on all of these files and when running diagnostics via the GUI the web interface hangs after a few minutes of reporting the logging of all these file names.  At reboot time, all I see is "starting diagnostics collection".  

How do I stop collection of data on all these files so that diagnostics completes?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I am unable to refresh the browser tab with the Diagnostics page, nor even change the URL to, say, the Dashboard.  The tab has to be closed and a new unraid tab opened to access the Web GUI again.

I just moved all files off the cache:
    image.png.50bc5b6a53a1a9b16eae3d1c2c52dfcc.png

However when I run the Diagnostics command in the WebGUI agian it is still referring to these files??image.thumb.png.e95d1aeb115cc2f62ea3eab3c03ddc2d.png

Array stop and reboot is working at this point, after performing the mover.  Will run diagnostics interactively after reboot to see if the mover has all the weird sed commands on non-existent files still.

Kaldek

Posted (edited)

OK, I had to delete the file /boot/logs/syslog-previous to remove the constant banging on about these non-existent files.

Edited by Kaldek

The root cause here appears to be entries in the file /boot/logs/syslog-previous related to the previous execution of the Mover when Mover Logging is enabled.

image.thumb.png.a240dddc2fa99f9e149f55b53d0c4529.png

The diagnostics script sees these, and runs the "sed -i" command for every entry found in the syslog-previous file.   Deleting the syslog-previous file stops this issue from occurring, as would not having Mover Logging enabled I suspect.  

I do not recall a warning for Mover logging about it impacting Diagnostics. I know it mentions potentially filling up log files, but not an impact to the diagnostics script.

Mover logging is only supposed to be used to diagnose a mover problem.

Not to be enabled full-time.

18 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

Mover logging is only supposed to be used to diagnose a mover problem.

Not to be enabled full-time.

I get that - it's more that this should be a call-out about impact to reboots.  Like, I was utterly confused by this as there was no warning *what* was delaying the reboot.  Lots of unRAID users out there less technical than me.