• System crash seems to happen when doing Parity check

Which6
    • Urgent

After several crashes of my server I upgraded my Bios on my Asus Steel Legend mother board to the latest bios, created a new USB incase of a failed dongle; and yet it still crashes.  All Temps seem good but since the parity check is happening overnight I can't be sure. I have attached the diagnostics report for possible review. Thanks for any suggestions or input. 

Unconfirmed 640343.crdownload Unconfirmed 551103.crdownload

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Both diags are just after rebooting, so not much to see, enable the syslog server and post that after a crash.

P.S. next time please make sure you download the files properly first, to avoid us having to rename them to zip.

Thanks, I'm new to the diagnostics. The server has never had issues until now.  I'll resubmit after next crash. Thanks for the fast response.

Are your sure there are no power related issues?   A parity check would be a time of maximum load.

Not that I can verify.  I misspoke about the motherboard It is an ASRock Z690 Steel Legend
    American Megatrends International, LLC., Version 18.04
    BIOS dated: Thursday, 06-06-2024. The power supply In the machine is way overkill in anticipation of growth. it's a Seasonic Prime GX-1300. I'm not on an UPS though.

The syslog in the diagnostics is the RAM version that starts afresh every time the system is booted.  You should enable the syslog server (probably with the option to Mirror to Flash set) to get a syslog that survives a reboot so we can see what leads up to a crash.  The mirror to flash option is the easiest to set up (and if used the file is then automatically included in any diagnostics), but if you are worried about excessive wear on the flash drive you can put your server's address into the remote server field.  

Thanks, I've set up the Mirror to flash option now. I'll send a new diagnostic file once it crashes again.  Thanks for the information and fast reply assistance

Crashed again last night. I have attached the downloaded Diagnostics file.

Please let me know if I need a different file or other information to solve this. I hope this pulled the correct information. I had the Sys log  server set to Mirror syslog to flash.

Thank you for the assistance

tower-diagnostics-20240625_0527.zip

Multiple call traces logged, start by running memtest, if nothing is found, and because memtest is only definitive if it finds errors, try running the server with just one stick of RAM, if the same try with a different one, that will basically rule out bad RAM, if issues persist, another thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker containers/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.

I'll let you know the out come. I'll also leave the Sys log in mirror setting to send you a file later if it crashes again while testing.  Thank you once again for the quick action on this.

Yep, It appears you were correct on your diagnosis. Attached a shot of the Memtest. I had another 64GB DDR kit and have switched out for the new RAM. It's a different Mgf. using Micron chips which may or may not make a difference but all seems to be running smooth so far.  If anything changes I'll let y'all know. 

Thank you  JorgeB for the excellent assistance.

MemTest errors 2.pdf

• Like 1