• v6.11.2 - Update all Containers in infinite loop?

snowboardjoe
    • Annoyance

Just upgraded from 6.11.1 to 6.11.2 this morning. After reboot decided to update all containers.

Hmmm, looks like it just resolved itself. That was weird. There were several containers that updated up 4X and freaked me out. Everything appears stable for now. Will leave this post out here in case others run into the issue and maybe verify the odd behavior if it proves to be a bigger problem.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

If you press the "Check for updates" button several times (with updates available), does it seem like the same updates get queued? That's my theory but I dont have any updates available right now.

I have noticed that sometimes the same docker tries to update several times. Only the first one pulls data of course.

Edited by Niklas

Tried it today when one of my containers had an update.

Pressed the "Check for updates" 2 times and yes, Unraid tried to update 3 times, 1st one was the update, the two following was 0 byte pulled and it removes orphan image/restarts container 3 times. Maybe next time Unraid checks for updates automatically, it also queues the same update again and again. That's why people thinks its in a infinite loop I guess?

Edited by Niklas

Ran another update all on my containers and it performed like usual this time. Only two containers needed updating. Did it one pass and it was done. Seems to be more of a post-upgrade issue I guess.

Was about to raise a new issue for this, but found this one. I have the same experience, only it does not clear. Unraid version is also 6.12.2. 

I want to add that a few days ago I clicked on 'close' during a docker update (instead of waiting for 'done' - I was not paying attention). Not sure this is the cause, but the timing is suspicious!

Since then whenever there is an update (for any container) the status after updating stays on 'update available'. When I update all I see it fetching 0 bytes and then it stops and restarts the container. 

When I click 'update all'  it proceeds to update many of the docker images multiple times. For example just now it updated nextcloud, zigbee2mqtt, mariadb, swag, duckdns, nextcloud, zigbee2mqtt, mariadb, swag, duckdns, nextcloud, zigbee2mqtt, mariadb, swag, duckdns. In that order. Only the first pass for zigbee2mqtt actually pulled and installed a new version, all the others were 0 bytes and did nothing other than restart the container.

As nothing has moved here and my installation still shows the problem it is for me now more than just an annoyance.

I went and checked a list of my docker container versions and it appears all affected images are from lscr.io (linuxserver). I also noticed they have now not been updated for weeks. 

lscr.io/linuxserver/nextcloud   latest    db927840cff3   4 weeks ago    491MB
    lscr.io/linuxserver/mariadb     latest    1cf2211675e0   5 weeks ago    304MB
    lscr.io/linuxserver/duckdns     latest    6b5d3bad4d93   5 weeks ago    25.7MB

Trying a manual pull request from the console throws the following error:

# docker pull lscr.io/linuxserver/nextcloud
    Using default tag: latest
    Error response from daemon: Head "https://ghcr.io/v2/linuxserver/nextcloud/manifests/latest": Get "https://ghcr.io/token?scope=repository%3Alinuxserver%2Fnextcloud%3Apull&service=ghcr.io": dial tcp: lookup ghcr.io on 192.168.1.254:53: no such host

Should I raise a new issue for this, or would this be something unrelated to Unraid, since these are all Linuxserver images?

8 hours ago, greuve said:

As nothing has moved here and my installation still shows the problem it is for me now more than just an annoyance.

I went and checked a list of my docker container versions and it appears all affected images are from lscr.io (linuxserver). I also noticed they have now not been updated for weeks. 

lscr.io/linuxserver/nextcloud   latest    db927840cff3   4 weeks ago    491MB
    lscr.io/linuxserver/mariadb     latest    1cf2211675e0   5 weeks ago    304MB
    lscr.io/linuxserver/duckdns     latest    6b5d3bad4d93   5 weeks ago    25.7MB

Trying a manual pull request from the console throws the following error:

# docker pull lscr.io/linuxserver/nextcloud
    Using default tag: latest
    Error response from daemon: Head "https://ghcr.io/v2/linuxserver/nextcloud/manifests/latest": Get "https://ghcr.io/token?scope=repository%3Alinuxserver%2Fnextcloud%3Apull&service=ghcr.io": dial tcp: lookup ghcr.io on 192.168.1.254:53: no such host

Should I raise a new issue for this, or would this be something unrelated to Unraid, since these are all Linuxserver images?

No problem here. Mariadb updated today and several linuxserver dockers before that. I use lscr.io/linuxserver/xxxx as repo adress for my LS containers 

Edited by Niklas

It turns out that is was a DNS problem in my case. Changing from using my ISP router as DNS server to OpenDNS servers solved the problem. My particular problem and solution documented in a little more detail here:

Just leaving this here should anyone have this problem in future:

Solution: (In the Unraid Web GUI) shutdown Docker and VM Manager and then go to: settings -> network settings and update the first DNS server (that was pointing to my router) and add a second DNS server. I used OpenDNS servers, but that is by no means a recommendation. Any major DNS provider will do.