HD's connected to Adaptec 1430SA lose speed after a while

Fazed

Hi all,

I am running a backup Unraid server - primarily focused on syncing data from another server and running a few Minecraft servers - which has some rather weird issues with HD speed on an external SATA card.

Specs:

Unraid 6.8.3

HP Elite 8200 microtower
Intel i5-2500K / 16GB / Dual Intel NIC

HD connections:

Connected to the mainboard SATA I have the following:

Hitachi 2TB (works perfectly fine)

WD 2TB and 2x WD 1TB drives, all WD Green (all work just fine)

Connected to the Adaptec Serial ATA II RAID 1430SA (rev 02) I have the following:

2x Samsung F1 HD154UI 1.5TB drives (not working that well)

The problem:

After a clean boot, all the six drives report good figures on hdparm (around 110-120MB/s on all) and the same speeds are noticeable during transfers into or from the server. However after a while (not very clear how long, I would say a few days max) the other drives keep showing good speeds but both the Samsungs connected to the Adaptec card suddenly start reporting transfer speeds of 10-20MB/s in hdparm and this is also evident in transfers from and to the server and during parity-checks, which proceed at speeds of 10-20MB/s. This issues has happened on several reboots repeated itself very similarly.

I've been scratching my head thinking about this, have considered replacing the Samsungs, but not sure if that would help and also the server really does not need any more HD space, so it does seem like a waste. Have not pulled the Samsungs out yet to test them outside the machine or even swapped drives between SATA connections as my first thought was to ask if anyone else has had similar issues with Adaptec 1430SA?

Would appreciate any tips and experiences on the Adaptec!

- jani

Thank you for the link, it is interesting that your issue did not exhibit itself on the 1430SA whereas mine does, but it certainly would seem there is something odd with these Samsung drives. I think the best course of action is to replace them as they are quite old anyway and not worth much effort.