Wireless Throughput

voldak

Ok guys...I've recently got my unRAID server setup and wired speeds (going through my airport extreme) are great, about 20-30mbps. But, my wireless transfers are terrible. My problem is that transferring files over wireless, 802.11n or 802.11g are both horrendous. I've tried using multiple computers (2008 macbook, HP probook 4520S, and an older Asus 901 netbook) are all around the same speeds. Speeds are average of 2.5mb/s on 802.11g and 3.5mb/s on 802.11n. I've also tried another AP (a d-link 802.11n AP) with the exact same results on multiple computers. I'm literally 30 feet from the AP and my signal strength is great.

Output from airport -I command:

agrCtlRSSI: -61

agrExtRSSI: 0

agrCtlNoise: -96

agrExtNoise: 0

state: running

op mode: station

lastTxRate: 104

maxRate: 130

lastAssocStatus: 0

802.11 auth: open

link auth: wpa2-psk

BSSID: 0:23:6c:bf:8a:2d

SSID: disgorged

MCS: 13

channel: 1

Any ideas guys? I'm really just grasping at straws here. Also, the main reason why this is a big deal is because my nearest cat5 outlets are across the room and it's a PITA to have to plug up to transfer files at a decent rate. Also, i'm not looking for miracles, but 3.5mb/s is a joke to me. Any ideas?

Wireless wasn't fast enough for me either.  I had a wire trailing from the computer though dining rooom, kitchen and family room to reach the TV. 

After agonizing about going under the house to run some wire, I bought a package of two powerline network adapters.  I'm getting 51 Mbs and that's plenty to stream my movies from unRAID to a XBMC machine next to the TV.  The rooms are on different breakers in the same breaker box in the garage. 

Wireless wasn't fast enough for me either.  I had a wire trailing from the computer though dining rooom, kitchen and family room to reach the TV. 

After agonizing about going under the house to run some wire, I bought a package of two powerline network adapters.  I'm getting 51 Mbs and that's plenty to stream my movies from unRAID to a XBMC machine next to the TV.  The rooms are on different breakers in the same breaker box in the garage. 

Second! These worked great for me before I ran wire. Just make sure to get the 500mbps rated ones (like queeg linked to), or at the very least the 200mbps ones. The 85mbps units don't usually work that well...

You are getting what I am on my Extremes. I do have them extended as I cannot wire the house I'm currently living in. I have had no problems serving DVD or recorded SD movies and TV shows, however HD has been out of the question.

I was thinking it was an issue with the Airport at first, but I recently switched it off of the network and plugged straight into a 100mbs switch and a different AP with the same result. It's just really weird. I think i've done every possible setup to get better throughput. I'm having a thought about a setup that I don't remember trying (tried 4 different setups yesterday). I'll let you know what comes up. Googling doesn't seem to help either.