Remote Access of Data

Hello all,

I have a scenerio I am having trouble with.

I am in the purchasing process of building a Data Storage solution for a business.

It is a small business with 2 employees.

unRAID was, by far, my number one choice going into this project, but now the requirements have changed.

The users want the following...

• Storage solution to store all business data (i.e. photos, templates, fonts, documents, billing, etc)
  • Redundancy for data loss
  • Ability to store backups of local systems on this device
  • Accessible from a PC and a MAC
  • Access to the data from home computers (each of their respective homes)
  • Remote management (This one is for me as I would have to drive 30 minutes to be onsite)

Is unRAID capable of fullfilling all of these requirements, and if so, how most people accomplish them.

I really do not want to have to use Windows Home Server (with a hardware RAID) if I do not have to.

Hello all,

I have a scenerio I am having trouble with.

I am in the purchasing process of building a Data Storage solution for a business.

It is a small business with 2 employees.

unRAID was, by far, my number one choice going into this project, but now the requirements have changed.

The users want the following...

• Storage solution to store all business data (i.e. photos, templates, fonts, documents, billing, etc)
  • Redundancy for data loss
  • Ability to store backups of local systems on this device
  • Accessible from a PC and a MAC
  • Access to the data from home computers (each of their respective homes)
  • Remote management (This one is for me as I would have to drive 30 minutes to be onsite)

Is unRAID capable of fullfilling all of these requirements, and if so, how most people accomplish them.

I really do not want to have to use Windows Home Server (with a hardware RAID) if I do not have to.

Your best bet is to set up VPN so they can access it remotely.

The backups of the loacl system could be handled by something like Crashplan which is free to use if you back up to only the unRAID server.  Crashplan only does a files backup, so they would have to install Windows/OS X again and then crashplan to get to the files that are on the unRAID server.

Remote management should be handled by you connecting to there network via VPN and then accessing everything there like you are sitting in there office.

One thing that I would like to add is that when you are planing out a business data storage server, is to incorporate a back-up plan from the beginning. unRAID will give you 1 disk failure redundancy, but this not a backup.

Make sure that you have a back-up (i.e. another copy of irreplaceable data) system setup, it may be simple as an external drive that you take home with you at the end of the day or more complex as a remote site mirror.

A fancy storage system with bells and whistles redundancies is no use if its 2 feet underwater in a flooded basement.  ;D

Archived